'Snitch' depicts cartel life, extreme bravery

2.22_Snitch (Photo courtesy of teaser-trailer.com)

Rated: PG-13

Releases: Feb. 22

How far would a father go to help his son? "Snitch" is the story of a recent high school graduate Jason, played by Rafi Gavron, who is charged with 10 years of imprisonment for aiding in the storage and alleged distribution of drugs.

Jason has been set up by his best friend in an attempt to reduce his own sentence. After Jason is put in jail, his father John, played by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, attempts to go undercover and act as a snitch for the DEA in order to reduce his son's sentence.

Before John can engage in his undercover mission, he first digs out various connections, starting with a power-hungry U.S. attorney played by Susan Sarandon, who promises to shorten Jason's sentence to one year in exchange for turning in drug dealers. His second connection is an ex-con employee of his, Daniel, played by Jon Bernthal, who introduces him to the drug-dealing industry.

Director Ric Roman Waugh does a great job depicting the scary world of drug trafficking and cartels. If the audience did not know how a cartel operated, they probably did by the end of the film. John is up against gun men with assault rifles and a face that screams danger, assemble in mobs to protect the cartel leader.

John becomes part of this thug life and even puts his own family at risk when the cartel find out exactly who he is and where he lives. At one point, the audience finds out that these horrible people have connections inside the prison, which tipped the cartel off that John was actually a snitch. It becomes even more frightening, since the audience knows this film is based on a true story.

Sequences of intense fighting, gunshots and mass murders take place along with periods of acute suspense leaving the audience gripped to their seat. Scenes that involve the cartel are very gritty and dark, something not very many parents would want to get involved in if their life was perfect and had other children.

"Snitch" promises a well-acted, action-packed thrill. The audience will find themselves rooting for John and his son against the ruthless cartel. It is a must-see weekend blockbuster with a few laughs in between all the grit.

"Snitch" opens Feb. 22 at various venues with different showtimes.

Reach the reporter at rlopez20@asu.edu or follow on Twitter @RosieLopez14.

×