Tech Spec: Innovation Does Not Equal Improvement (Opinion)

Turning off your smart device may be your only option in disconnecting from technology. Photo by Courtland Jeffrey

If you are an avid follower of the Tech Spec blog here on the State Press Magazine website, then you know that when I write about technology, I tend to focus on how it will help better you, whether in love, music or sociability. My philosophy has always been that technology is something that offers us some sort of improvement in our lives and that we should accept most of it with open arms. But this semester, with my class schedule and longer list of extracurricular activities, I am finding some mixed feelings about my beloved tech.

Turning off your smart device may be your only option in disconnecting from technology. Photo by Courtland Jeffrey Turning off your smart device may be your only option in disconnecting from technology. Photo by Courtland Jeffrey

Having internet-connected technology around at all times, one can feel as though they are never off the clock. Yes, recently Apple has come up with a feature that allows you to turn off phone calls and notifications for a designated period of time, called “Do Not Disturb,” but using this setting is not perfect. It cannot figure out which texts are about work and which are casual (unless the contact is specified as a “favorite”). Keeping the “favorite” list and the “Do Not Disturb” time schedule up to date (my schedule begins and ends at different times every day) just seems like too much of a hassle. For me, on days when I have hit the end of my concentration, I have to try to ignore my smartphone for an hour or two just to relax, so I can get back to answering emails regarding classes and interviews.

Do not get me wrong, I still love technology and I think that it has a crucially important place in our society, but there can be too much of a good thing. One of my editors, Mary Richardson, opened my eyes to a different point of view when we discussed regular cell phones and smartphones. I came away from this discussion with the understanding that having a cell phone that did not notify of new emails brought liberation once you left the office. While it is quite useful to see the email immediately when you receive it in certain instances (like scheduling an interview or asking a time-sensitive question), keeping the separation of personal life and professional life is critical in maintaining a healthy life. Now that I am coming to the end of this post, I think it is time for me try out my newfound advice — take a break from technology; no one needs to be connected 24/7.

If you have any comments or questions, feel free to email at cejeffre@asu.edu and follow me on Twitter @Court_Jeffrey. Enjoy!

×