Report: Graham, Patterson agree to contract extensions

ASU football coach Todd Graham and Vice President for Athletics Steve Patterson have both agreed to contact extensions through 2018 and are awaiting approval from the Arizona Board of Regents on Sept. 26.

The Arizona Republic first reported the deal on Wednesday.

According to the report, Graham's annual salary will increase from $2.05 million to $2.3 million after July 1. Graham's salary will continue increase to $2.4 million after Jan. 1, 2014, $2.5 million on Jan. 1, 2015, $2.6 million on Jan. 1, 2016. He will also receive annual $50,000 raise thereafter and potential bonuses for making bowl games.

Patterson's extension will run through June 2018 and will have an annual salary increase from $365,000 to $450,000 before bonuses from athletic performance.

The report also stated that ASU can collect up to $1.5 million should Graham terminate his contract and coach another team. ASU can fire Graham at any time but would have to pay him his annual salary for the remainder of his contract.

The terms of termination come at a time as Graham's name is thrown around as a potential candidate for the head coaching job at the University of Texas at Austin should the Longhorns fire Mack Brown at the end of the season. Graham is originally from Texas and has already landed several recruits from the state, including senior running back Marion Grice.

Graham finished 8-5 in his first season as head coach at ASU, including wins at UA and the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl over Navy. Graham has a history of coaching in short stints at other universities, serving one year at Pittsburgh in 2011, four years at Tulsa from 2007-10 and one year at Rice in 2006.

Patterson led ASU to finish 18th in the Directors' Cup after the athletic department finished 30th the previous year. He is also credited for developing a sports facility district with State Farm and helping lure USA Basketball to move its headquarters to Tempe.

Because the contract extensions are not yet finalized, ASU media relations declined to comment.

Reach the reporter at jnacion@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Josh_Nacion

×