An Uptown Vig Visit

Photo by Mackenzie McCreary
Photo by Mackenzie McCreary

Photo by Mackenzie McCreary The Vig: Gentle on your wallet while soothing your cravings.
Photo by Mackenzie McCreary

If you're at that point where the dinning hall food and microwavable meals just aren’t cutting it anymore, it may be time to try out some local cuisine. The Vig has three locations, two of which are light rail accessible. It is also easy on the wallet, and sure to satisfy your craving for some hearty comfort food. In other words, it’s ideal for college students.

Upon entering the parking lot to the location on N. 16thStreet in North Phoenix, my two girl friends and I were greeted by the complimentary valet service. Just that word alone -“complimentary”- indicated that this was going to be an amazing dinner.

The fluently designed and comfortable hot spot was very social. We had an option of dining inside by the bar or out on the patio. Since it was the first gorgeous, Fall night in Arizona, we chose to sit outside- and we were so glad we did.

Photo by Mackenzie McCreary The Vig hosts a number of specialty burgers including the classic VigAZZ Burger, which includes their special sauce.
Photo by Mackenzie McCreary

The ambiance was the perfect balance between relaxed and casual, with a sense of formality. The covered patio had such unique, modern architecture that I have never seen at any other restaurant. On one side of the patio was what looked like a small business mixer between colleagues, and on the opposite side families were – aside from their meals – enjoying a small game of corn hole on the bocce ball court. The venue was surrounded with open windows, allowing the breeze to tease us by spreading the mouthwatering smell of the fresh entrées of food around us.

Offering tastes from all over the world, there is something for everyone on the menu. From carne asada on a potato pancake to prickly pear salad for the West coasters, to fresh grilled fish tacos and the NYC Reuban for the East coaster’s.

State Press A&E; reporter Demetrius Burns tried out the burger at the newest Fillmore location recently. For my visit, I took on The Hot Chick sandwich: a grilled chicken breast covered with melted, smoked mozzarella cheese, juicy roasted tomatoes, crunchy arugula leaves, and a spicy avocado spread smothering the warm and soft ciabatta bun, with a side of sweet potato fries, (yum, right?! ), for only $12! This amazing food was also accompanied with outstanding customer service. location

All three of our dinner entrées came with a bill at a total of only $38.99 (tax included). Not bad for a classy dinner.

The upscale joint is also friendly on the wallet during the week with some sweet deals. On Monday nights, $5 burgers and fries are sold from 6 p.m.- 10 p.m. You can start your weekend off right on Fridays with live entertainment provided by DJ Jonny Rogers from 9 p.m.- 1 a.m. On Friday and Saturday evenings, The Vig’s Uptown location offers complimentary transportation to and from the restaurant by Mike the Vig Rig Guy. And on Sundays, enjoy some brunch from 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. As far as Happy Hour goes, from Monday to Friday, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. is half price appetizers and awesome drink specials. Like the menu states, "turn your Hi Hum hour into something better."

From the atmosphere, to the service, to the food, The Vig makes for a perfectly satisfying night out.

Reach the writer at Brianna.randazzo@asu.edu

×