Mark your calendars: here's a top-five list of Arizona holiday events

With the holiday season coming up, Arizona provides a plethora of festivities that help make up for the lack of actual winter weather. Whether you’re from another state and missing your hometown's annual festivities or just looking to start your celebrating early, chances are there’s something in which you can take part.

1.) Zoo Lights

For Arizona natives, there’s almost no doubt that you have at least heard of Zoo Lights. This event is a Christmas light show and festival held annually at the Phoenix Zoo. Two light shows will premiere this year, one themed as "Wizard of Oz" and the other, the popular "Wizards in Winter" by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. If you’re not really looking to see a show, you can always walk around the park with friends and admire the lights. Zoo Lights runs from Nov. 28 until Jan. 12, with a general admission price of $14.

2.) Holiday Pet Festival

Whether you’re an animal lover or looking to adopt a new pet in time for the holidays, you should come support the Tranquility Trail Animal Sanctuary as they put on their annual Holiday Pet Festival. Numerous veterinarians, pet services, local pet businesses and Valley animal organizations will be present at this event to help with all of your pet needs and holiday shopping. The event, which will be held in the WestWorld of Scottsdale on Dec. 7 will also run animal adoptions. A variety of dogs and cats will be available for adoption — as well as rats, in case you’re looking for a much smaller friend to rescue.

3.) Holiday Bazaar

If you’re looking to help others and shop for loved ones at the same time, visit the Valley Life AZ’s Holiday Bazaar. Different gifts, crafted goods and gently used items will be sold to benefit adults and children with physical and mental disabilities in the Phoenix area. Entertainment, as well as food trucks, will be provided at this free event held at Valley Life Campus on Dec. 7.

4.) Great Russian Nutcracker, Alice Cooper's Christmas Pudding

If you’re looking for a show this season, Comerica Theatre is holding two holiday shows in which you may be interested. The first is the Moscow Ballet’s "Great Russian Nutcracker." Performing in various cities with youth programs around the country, the Moscow Ballet will be in Phoenix on Dec.12 to perform alongside the 300-member Phoenix Children’s Chorus, which has also sung throughout the world.

If that’s a little too light for you, then there’s Alice Cooper’s Christmas Pudding on Dec. 7, featuring Cooper himself, Paul Stanley of Kiss, Rob Zombie and many more. The event features music, comedy and dancing while benefiting the Alice Cooper Solid Rock Teen Center.

5.) Road trip

After all that, you may find yourself looking for a change of scenery, in which case you can always take a weekend road trip with some friends to either Flagstaff or Sedona to see the snow.

Reach the reporter at mefinley@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @mollyEfinley

×