As 2014 begins, we are transitioning into a new and exciting year in the media industry.

When taking a look at previous years, I notice music videos with simple and seductive dance moves with no underlying meaning other than pure sexuality. However, I can already tell the times, they are a-changin'.

Lana Del Rey recently released her short film “Tropico,” which showcases not only her new songs but her creativity as an artist in a surprisingly innovative way.

Beyoncé soon followed with her eponymous visual album, surprising fans across the world. I can’t help but smile.

Finally, artists are leaving their unoriginal music behind and crossing new borders, amazing everyone in the process.

The music industry, while not usually synonymous with feminism, is convulsing with the power of a revolution.

Not only are Lana Del Rey and Beyoncé sparking new ideas concerning music, but they are the powerful women behind this new popular feminist ideal in music.

No longer are women hiding behind expressly sexual music videos, short shorts and cleavage-baring tops, but showing the world that women are strong and beautiful in every way possible. In the past, there was an overemphasis on sex and not much emphasis on anything else, robbing women of agency outside of their femininity.

Beyoncé knows how to bring female power to light through her empowering and interesting music videos, even calling praise from the sharpest critics. The website Clutch in 2011 called Beyonce’s song “Girls” the “anthem for contemporary women that aren’t afraid of being powerful, driven, smart and sexy.”

Getting drunk and having sex is the subject of many music artists' songs. Lana Del Rey describes similar scenes, but in a way that allows a female listener to take agency over her own place in the world. She elevates the old misogynist images through creative interpretation and transcends any previous association.

Beyoncé allows relatability and transcendence in her new album. For example, she croons about “finding beauty in imperfection.”

We've all had our moments when we stare in the mirror and only focus on our flaws. We tear ourselves down in the process.

The media world is changing and songs are no longer written about long drunken nights with random boys. Sure, watching Ke$ha battle a man with a unicorn head was entertaining, but substance should play a key role in a song or music video that goes for every music artist.

Originality and relatability are key, but it’s time for musicians to leave behind raunchy songs and music videos. Women in music should try to create something innovative with a true underlying meaning.

Thank you Lana Del Ray and Beyoncé for setting the trend in this new year of feminism.

Reach the columnist at Brooke.Ramos@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @brookesramos

×