1. "inFAMOUS: Second Son" (Sucker Punch)

Sucker Punch brings the inFAMOUS series to the PlayStation 4, and it looks phenomenal with silky smooth animation and amazing attention to detail. This will be the first real showcase for a first-party Sony game on the PS4. Set seven years after the events of "inFAMOUS 2," players are given the reins to Delsin Rowe in a virtual Seattle. Good and evil choices return, as Rowe uses his powers to battle an oppressive organization that has locked down major cities across the U.S. in order to monitor the activity of superhuman. "inFAMOUS: Second Son" lands in the supremely busy month of March.

2. "Dying Light" (Techland)

Zombies are all the rage, and "Dying Light" is set to offer an all-new zombie apocalypse experience.Techland, the "Dead Island" developer, places the focus of gameplay on first-person perspective free-running in an open-world environment. Players can certainly spend their time finding various ways of dispatching zombies, but avoidance and distraction are the key, especially when the sun goes down and the zombies become tougher and faster. "Dying Light" will release on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

3. "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U" (Nintendo)

The four-player melee will make its triumphant return to not just one but two different consoles this time around. The 3DS and Wii U games are set for an ambiguous 2014 release. First-party Nintendo games are almost always special, and "Super Smash Bros. Wii U" just might help turn around the listing Wii U console. The appearance on the 3DS will be a first for Nintendo’s handheld consoles. This installment of Super Smash Bros. is sure to delight fans of the series, whether they're gathered on the couch or on the go.

4. "Watch Dogs" (Ubisoft)

"Watch Dogs" slipped into 2014 after a disappointing delay, but could very well end up being the 21st century version of Assassin’s Creed that many gamers have wanted. Its premise is built around information warfare and the increased reliance on technology. Players can expect slick parkour gameplay and the ability to hack phones to steal information or stoplights to cause traffic accidents in an open-world setting. "Watch Dogs" will release on PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360 and Xbox One consoles.

5. "Transistor" (Supergiant Games)

Gamers who aren’t paying attention to independent video games may not know about the action-roleplaying game "Transistor." This PS4 exclusive is the follow up to 2011’s "Bastion" by Supergiant Games. It combines freedom of movement with a turn-based planning mode for combat, gorgeous visuals and amazing music and voiceovers. It also employs a unique narrative in the form of the heroine’s sentient talking sword. "Transistor" was consistently a trade-show favorite in 2013, though there is no solid release date and they refuse to give one. Reach the reporter at michael.jerome.martin@asu.edu or on Twitter @NefariousMike

×