Tempe Police: Man assaults officer in parking lot

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

• A 29-year-old Tempe man was arrested Jan. 11 on the 1500 block of East Elliot Road on suspicion of aggravated assault of an officer, according to a police report.

The man was found exhibiting erratic behavior in a parking lot when an officer attempted to communicate with him, according to police.

The report states that the man began yelling obscenities at the officer and approached him in a threatening manner.

The officer deployed his Taser and struck the man in the chest, according to the report.

The man was able to walk away and threatened to assault the next person he saw, police said.

The man was detained and first transferred to Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital for evaluation and then transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according the report.

• A 22-year-old Tempe man was arrested Jan. 11 on the 1200 block of North Oleander Street on suspicion of dangerous drug and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

While changing his bike tire in an alley, the man was contacted by an officer and found to have a Mesa warrant, the police said.

During a search of his belongings, police found a small quantity of methamphetamine and a syringe, according to the report.

The man was arrested and held for his warrant, police said.

Reports compiled by Shari Anne Rose.

Reach the reporter at shari.rose@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @sharir55

×