ASU track and field wraps up day one in Seattle, Albuquerque

The ASU men’s and women’s track team wrapped up day one of two meets Friday: the Husky Classic in Seattle and the Don Kirby Invitational in Albuquerque.

At the Don Kirby Invitational, redshirt freshman Ashley Weber and junior Jessika Byrd both participated in the women’s weight throw. Weber placed 11thoverall with a throw of 17.51 meters, her second best mark this season in the event. Byrd throw 16.95 meters, good for 13thplace, also her second best mark this season in the weight throw.

In the men’s pole vault, redshirt Derick Hinch placed 6th with a jump of 5.20 meters, which is tied for his second best vault this season. Redshirt senior Chris Manuele placed 10th with 4.90 meters and redshirt sophomore Tanner Greeley placed last out of the 15 participating with 4.75.   download-022114   Senior Alycia Herring and sophomore Jasmine Gibbs participated in the women’s long jump. Herring placed fifth in the event with a mark of 5.91 meters, her second best of the season. Gibbs placed 10th in the event with 5.75 meters her third best jump of the season.

In the men’s long jump, sophomore Josh Dixon set a new personal best. His jump of 7.01 meters was good for 10th place, despite shattering his previous best of 6.80 meters.

The team had six athletes in the men’s 200-meter race, however, only one placed in the top 10; redshirt junior Devan Spann finished ninth with a time of 21.26 seconds. Senior Keith Cleveland and freshman Tatum Bernard-Taylor finished 22nd and 23rd. Senior Daveon Collins finished 27th and senior Will Henry finished 31st.

Freshman Troya Franklin set a new personal best in the women’s 200-meter finishing 6th with a time of 23.96 seconds. Junior Brianna Tate finished 16th in the race, senior Asiah Gooden placed 21st. Sophomore Jasmine Gibbs tied for 25th and junior Sara McDonald finished 27th.

In ASU’s finals event of the day in Albuquerque, redshirt junior Kyle Lillie came close to matching his personal best in the weight throw with a throw of 16.96 meters (his personal best is 16.97). Lillie placed 13th in the event. Redshirt junior Ryan Leslie placed 15th in the weight throw with a mark of 16.91 meters. Redshirt freshman Kyle Long placed 21st with 14.91 meters.

In Seattle, the Sun Devils had just one athlete participate in an event on Friday. Sophomore Adriana Olivas ran in the women’s 5000-meter race. Olivas ran the race in 17 minutes and nine seconds. That time was only good for 27th overall in the race.

Saturday will be a busy day for the team in Albuquerque. Some of the events that will include Sun Devils are both the men’s and women’s 4x400 relay, the women’s pole vault, the men’s and women’s 400-meter dash and others.

The Husky Classic will also be wrapping up in Seattle on Saturday with the women’s 800-meter run, the men’s and women’s 3000-meter run and the men’s and women’s mile race.

Both meets should be wrapped up by 3 p.m. MST on Saturday.

Reach the reporter at wslane@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @bill_slane 

×