Jonathan Quick, the cheater

With just under five minutes to play in the third, the Russians were in attack mode, challenging Team USA goalie Jonathan Quick with a one timer from Pavel Datsyuk to Ilya Kovalchuk that went off the post.

Just seconds after this initial rush, Fedor Tyutin launched a shot into the back of the net from just inside the blue line in front of the American bench. A gif and an NBC replay display Quick straying from the crease, and then lunging back into the net,knocking the net off its moorings.

I am behind Team USA's efforts 100 percent, but there is no acceptable double standard in the world of officiating. Quick may have stopped 29-of-31 shots in regulation and overtime, and 5-of-8 in shootouts. He also may have found an IIHF loophole which allowed him to do what he is often caught doing in the NHL. He is still a cheater.

download-022114  

With no discredit to T.J. Oshie, this game will forever have an asterisk next to it. The only way for Quick to regain international respect for himself and his team will be for them to beat Russia again in the Gold Medal round.

Quick's own teammate in Los Angeles, defenseman Slava Voynov, took a shot at the American goaltender, and said, "I play with him. It is in his style to do something like that."

Former Hockey Hall of Fame goaltender Ken Dryden wrote a poem entitled "I am a Player" in 2003.

"It matters to me how I play the game. I want to win without injustice or bad luck or regret."

Can Jonathan Quick say the same?

Reach the columnist at smodrich@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @modrich_22

×