Tempe Police: Man spits on fireman, denies all

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

• A 26-year-old Mesa man was arrested Saturday on the 7400 block of East Osborn Road on suspicion of aggravated assault on a firefighter, according to a police report.The man had been involved in a physical altercation on Ninth Street and Ash Avenue, where Tempe Fire Department Engine #276 shift C responded to the scene, police said.

While being transported to Scottsdale Osborn Hospital, the man became violent in the ambulance, the report said.

The man attempted to strike a firefighter with his fist, but when he failed to do so, the man spat on the firefighter’s face, the report said.

The arresting officer contacted the fireman, who confirmed the man’s actions, the report said.

The man has no recollection of spitting on the firefighter in the ambulance, police said.

After he was released from the hospital, the man was transported and booked into Tempe City Jail.

• A 27-year-old woman was arrested Saturday at the intersection of Priest Drive and Broadway Road on suspicion of narcotic drug for sale, dangerous drug for sale, marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.The woman, who was not a licensed driver, was initially stopped in her vehicle for driving without her headlights on, the report said.

Police reported that the man in the passenger seat, who was the registered owner of the car, agreed to a vehicle search.

During the search, the arresting officer found what he believed to be methamphetamine in a green container along with a purse that contained four small bags and drug paraphernalia, according to the report.

The first bag contained a golf ball-sized amount of methamphetamine totaling approximately 14 grams, and was accompanied by a second bag of approximately two additional grams of methamphetamine, police said.

A third bag in the same purse pocket was found and contained a black tar-like substance that the officer believed to be about two grams of heroin, according to the report.

Marijuana was discovered by the arresting officer in a fourth bag of the purse, the report said.

Police said that all containers, excluding the marijuana, contained enough grams to cross the threshold of sales.

The woman said she has sold methamphetamine in the past to pay her bills, but this time she was holding them for the vehicle owner and intended on throwing all of the drugs away, police said.

The vehicle owner denied the woman’s claims and stated that the drugs all belonged to the woman and that the woman frequently carries a large amount of methamphetamine with her, police reported.

She was transported and booked into Tempe City Jail, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Chelsey Ballarte

Reach the reporter at Chelsey.Ballarte@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @chelseyballarte

×