Tempe Police: Man uses methamphetamine because of 'problems at home'

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Thursday:

• A 31-year-old Tempe man was arrested Jan. 23 in a parking lot on the 800 block of East McKellips Road on suspicion of methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.Police first contacted the man because he failed to stop before exiting a private drive and then cutting across all lanes and entering in an alley on the 1800 block of North Scottsdale Road without a turn signal, according to the report.During the vehicle stop, the passenger was arrested on suspicion of having outstanding warrants and drug paraphernalia possession, police reported. A K-9 unit sniff granted police entry into the car, according to the report.

The search resulted in the discovery of a clear pipe with a bulb at the end with burnt residue that the officer recognized as methamphetamine, police said.

The officer then searched the man’s person, where he found a crystalline substance appearing to be methamphetamine, according to the report. The substance was inside a plastic baggie hidden in the seam of the man’s jacket through a hole in the pocket, the report said.

During a post-Miranda interview, the man told police he had just started using methamphetamine again because of problems in his family life and that he knew the drug was illegal, police said.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released pending charges, according to the report.

Report compiled by Emily Mahoney

Reach the reporter at elmahone@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @mahoneysthename

×