Don't spring break your bank account

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.
Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez | The State Press

There is nothing quite like spring break.

Fall break tries, but it's usually at the tail end of October, and that's when the cold weather rears its ugly head and people are gearing up for Halloween shenanigans.

Spring break rests in the transition period between the end of winter and the start of spring. It's usually the perfect time for bathing suits, pool-side iced tea and TV shows starting to hit the high points of their seasons.

The sad thing about spring break is that it can be so expensive. We want to go full out, but we end up emptying our meager funds into a trip that may or may not be the greatest thing ever.

So here are some tips and tricks to get you the spring break experience you want without sending your bank account into the negatives:

• Go on a cruise (especially if you're over 21). It's cheap, efficient and incredibly fun! They include food and housing for a package price. What can beat that?
  • Set aside a couple of chill days. Park it by the pool, bring a book to read and turn off your cellphone. It sounds kind of boring, but spring break is just as much about relaxation as it is about having fun.
  • Book a hotel room with a fridge and microwave. That way, you can save on food costs by buying cheap groceries and eating in your room.
  • Buy your ticket early, if you can! The earlier you purchase, the cheaper your flight will be.
  • Use your student I.D. You can get ridiculous discounts all around Tempe, and it's the same for students all over the country. It doesn't hurt to try!

What are some tips and tricks that you have for saving money? Comment below!

Reach the blogger at Stephanie.Tate@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @StephanieITA

×