ASU men's golf finishes third at Redhawk Invitational

ASU men's golf notched its fifth top-three finish of the season on Tuesday as the Sun Devils took third in the Redhawk Invitational in Seattle. UCLA (9-under 835) won the event, and the Washington (6-under 838) finished in second.

ASU (3-over 847) was helped by strong play from both Rahm and junior Austin Quick, who finished the tournament with a 2-under 209. Rahm and Quick ended the two-day tournament with the second- and sixth-best individual scores, respectively.

Freshman Blake Cannon (4-over 215), junior Broc Johnson (9-over 220) and sophomore Max Rottluff (14-over 225) filled out the Sun Devil squad at Chambers Bay Golf Course.

San Diego junior Grant Forrest (11-under 200) won the individual scoring title.

The final round would prove to be the toughest for ASU. The Sun Devils posted a team score of 286 on the second day after first and second round scores of 282 and 279 on the first day.

Rahm was a bright spot for the Sun Devils as he scored lower than 70 on each round of the tournament. Only one other golfer, UCLA sophomore Jake Knapp, of the field of 92 accomplished that feat.

The Redhawk Invitational also marked the first time Cannon has played on the five-man roster. He made good on the opportunity with a solid outing, tying for 22nd best individual score. Cannon had previously played in four tournaments this season individually.

The team won't have long to reflect on its performance. Just four days after the end of the Redhawk Invitational, the Sun Devils will play the Western Intercollegiate in Santa Cruz, Calif. This is the shortest amount of time the team has had between tournaments all season.

The last time the Sun Devils had a short break, it was in October, when they had six days to prepare for the Bill Cullum Invitational after the Alister McKenzie Invitational, both played in California. The Sun Devils went on to take third at the Bill Cullum Invitational on a short week.

After the Western Intercollegiate, the Sun Devils will begin the postseason with the Pac-12 Men's Golf Championships in Marana, Ariz. The tournament will be played from April 25 to April 27.

Seattle University, which hosted the tournament, did not finish due to two players being withdrawn in the third round.

Reach the reporter at hkossodo@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @HKossodo

×