Keeping up with National Poetry Month

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.
Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez. Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.

In April, we have the great opportunity to enjoy and learn more about poetry.

The Academy of American Poets initiated this poetic celebration in 1996. This month celebrates the legacy of historic American poets. Meanwhile, it offers a chance for current poets and artists to come together to discover new work.

Around the country, the Academy of American Poets is hosting events throughout the month. At the same time, you can find tons of great events in Phoenix and Tempe, to feed that hunger for poetry.

Each Wednesday in April, the City of Tempe is hosting poetic talents from around Arizona at the Tempe Center for the Arts. The "Poetry in April" event will showcase Valerie Bandura,an ASU professor, on April 16. She will speak about her work and share her poetry. In the third week, David Chorlton on April 23rd, who came to Phoenix in 1978 from Austria.

You can see all of the National Poetry Month events hosted by the Tempe Center for the Arts here.

If you're closer to the Downtown Phoenix campus, look no further than Lawn Gnome Publishing to celebrate poetry. Every Thursday night, the shop host a Phoenix Poetry Slam for poets of all types.

The Phoenix Burton Barr library hosts a poetry slam series called Phonetic Split, which will take place on April 19th. A few days later, on April 22nd, Arizona's poet laureate, Alberto Rios, will present his work and poetry at the public library.

Take a stroll about a block away from the library to the Phoenix Center for the Arts, where they will be hosting an Infuse Open Mic night every second Sunday of the month.

Finally, don't forget to request a free National Poetry Month poster from the Academy of American Poets here! Who doesn't love a free poster?

The metropolitan Phoenix area is teeming with amazing poetry and art. Take this month to celebrate poetry in the city! Know of any other poetry events this month? Let me know on Twitter @marie_eo, or you can reach me at arabusa@asu.edu.

×