Tempe Police: Man cuts ankle bracelet, smokes marijuana outside motel

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

• A 33-year-old man was arrested March 20 on the 1000 block of East Apache Boulevard on suspicion of being a fugitive from justice and possessing and using dangerous drugs, drug paraphernalia and marijuana, according to a police report.

The man was contacted for walking around a Motel 6, but he told police he was not staying at the motel or visiting a guest, the report said.

A search of his person revealed a baggie of marijuana, a wrapper containing methamphetamine and a partially smoked marijuana blunt, according to the report. His bag contained a methamphetamine pipe, police reported.

The man admitted to the arresting officer that he was on probation at the time of the arrest but had cut off his ankle bracelet the morning before, police said.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail and booked pending release, according to the report.

• A 27-year-old Phoenix man was arrested March 22 at South Rural Road and East Lemon Street on suspicion of possessing and using dangerous drugs, prescription drugs and drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.

The man was stopped and contacted for riding his bike against the flow of traffic without a bike light, police said.

A search resulted in the discovery of an unlabeled green prescription bottle inside the front pocket of the man’s backpack, the report said.

The bottle contained four green and brown pills and six red and gray pills, as well as a baggie of methamphetamine, police reported.

Poison control concluded that the unmarked pills were hydroxyzine and Prazosin, the report said.

Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine with antiobsessive and antipsychotic effects. Prazosin is prescribed for anxiety and PTSD, among other conditions.

The man said his girlfriend gave him the pills to treat his depression, but he had not yet taken any, police said.

The man said he smoked some of the methamphetamine that day, police reported.

The man was transported to the Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released pending his drug charges, according to the report.

Reports complied by Chelsey Ballarte

Contact the reporter at Chelsey.Ballarte@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @chelseyballarte

×