Tempe Police: Man trespasses in swimming pool, brings crystal meth

Tempe Police apprehended the man outside a local apartment complex.

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Friday:

A 49-year-old Tempe man was arrested Monday on the 3400 block of South Rural Road on suspicion of dangerous drug and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.Police saw the man, who they recognized as a transient man with an outstanding felony warrant, leaving the pool area of an apartment complex where he didn't live, according to the report.

Officers warned the man about trespassing after he told them he was swimming in the pool, police reported. They then asked him if he had any illegal items on himself or in the black Jansport backpack he was holding, according to the report.

The report stated that the man denied having anything illegal with him. A search revealed that the backpack contained a clear glass pipe used for smoking methamphetamine, as well as a small ziplock baggie with mushroom designs that held a usable quantity of methamphetamine, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released pending drug charges.

A 27-year-old Tempe man was arrested May 22 at South Rural Road and East 6th Street on suspicion of driving under the influence and providing false information to law enforcement, according to a police report.Officers stopped the man when they observed his vehicle drifting within his lane and noticed that he didn't have a license plate light, police reported.

When they talked to the man, officers smelled alcohol emitting from the vehicle and noticed that he had bloodshot, watery eyes, police reported. The man told officers he didn't have his ID with him and gave them a verbal identification with birth date and social security number, according to the report.

The report stated that the man told officers his license wasn't suspended and that he hadn't been drinking alcohol. When officers asked him to step outside the vehicle, he was unable to balance without swaying, police reported.

He later told officers he had had one beer, but a test revealed he had a blood alcohol concentration level of .102, over the legal limit of .08, according to the report.

The man was arrested, and officers reminded him that he would be charged with false reporting if he had lied about his identity, police reported.

An Arizona ID card in his wallet showed that he had, according to the report, and the man told police he lied because he had a suspended license and was nervous.

He was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge.

Reports compiled by Julia Shumway.

Reach the editor-in-chief at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×