Top 7 fall 2014 games

(Logo Courtesy of Activision)
(Logo Courtesy of Activision)

Rarely has the fall season looked so intimidating for video game players . Fall 2014 is crowded with its slate of high-profile titles. It’s always disappointing when a game you’re looking forward to gets delayed. While you won’t be playing “Batman: Arkham Knight,” “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt,” “The Order: 1886” or “Dying Light,” among others, in 2014, here’s what you can look forward to this fall:

(Logo Courtesy of Bungie) (Logo Courtesy of Bungie)

“Destiny” (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3) — Sept. 9

OK, technically, “Destiny” beats the fall season by 13 days, but it is one of the biggest games on this list as far as budget and expectations go. The “Destiny Beta” that took place in July attracted more than 4.6 million players. Interest is high as Bungie tries to move on from the "Halo" series by creating a new sci-fi shooter set in an immersive, persistent online world.

“Hyrule Warriors” (Wii U) — Sept. 26

“Mario Kart 8” sold like gangbusters to an established user base, but it didn't do much to boost Wii U console sales. Nintendo desperately needs a game to push Wii U consoles. “Hyrule Warriors” could surprise players as it takes the iconic "Legend of Zelda" series in a different direction by combining Zelda with the action-oriented "Dynasty Warriors" series. Playing as Link battling hordes of Hyrulian enemies could generate a new series of Zelda games as well as breathe some life into the Wii U going into 2015.

“Super Smash Bros.” (3DS) — Oct. 3

“Super Smash Bros.” won’t make it out on Wii U in 2014, but the 3DS version is still on track for fall 2014. With many more 3DS systems out in the wild compared to the Wii U, “Super Smash Bros.” has the potential to be the best-selling game on 3DS ever. Other than graphics, if you’re worried about differences, don’t be. The 3DS will feature the same gameplay and roster of characters as the Wii U version.

“Sunset Overdrive” (Xbox One) - Oct. 28

“Sunset Overdrive” is a bit of an enigma for the Xbox One. It is one of Microsoft’s few exclusives for 2014. It’s also Insomniac’s first exclusive for Microsoft after breaking away from the Ratchet and Clank games for the PlayStation consoles. It looks colorful, fast and fun. In a time where every shooter is so serious, it is clearly a game that doesn’t take itself too seriously. A good showing will help boost Xbox One sales as it lags far the PS4 in sales.

(Logo Courtesy of Activision) (Logo Courtesy of Activision)

“Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare” (Xbox One, 360, PS4, PS3, PC) — Nov. 4

Is it any wonder that a Call of Duty game is on this list? “Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare” will be one of the top-selling games of the year. This one looks like it might finally evolve into something more unique as exoskeletons and vehicles like hover bikes are introduced. It also has Kevin Spacey in a starring role. For those who have become disenchanted with the series, Advanced Warfare looks very enticing.

“Dragon Age: Inquisition” (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, PC) - Nov. 18

“Dragon Age: Inquisition” was a casualty of delays. Luckily it still releases this year. The long awaited action, role-playing sequel is supposed to feature large, wide areas (it isn't open-world according to BioWare) to explore and the trademark romance aspect that BioWare games are known for. This sequel will be bigger than the first two games in almost every way.

“Far Cry 4” (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, PC) – Nov. 18

“Far Cry 3” was a surprise hit at the tail end of 2013. “Far Cry 4” wants to top its predecessor with rhinos, elephants, gyrocopters and cooperative gameplay. Ubisoft is planning a more cohesive storytelling experience to go with the open world gameplay. “Far Cry 4’s” unique Himalayan setting might be one of the most unique seen in video games in a long time. Grab a friend and ride some elephants into a village with guns blazing. How cool is that?

Reach the reporter at michael.jerome.martin@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Bizarro_Mike

×