MSNBC features graduate student Jordan Hibbs as outstanding female student leader

Graduate student Jordan Hibbs was nominated as one of MSNBC's "Women in Politics: College Edition 2014."  (Photo by Alexis Macklin)

Jordan Hibbs Graduate student Jordan Hibbs was nominated as one of MSNBC's "Women in Politics: College Edition 2014."  (Photo by Alexis Macklin)

Graduate student Jordan Hibbs is making waves in the political world again by being nominated as one of MSNBC’s “Women in Politics: College Edition 2014.”

MSNBC is showcasing women involved in student politics who are making a difference in their communities from across the country and Hibbs was nominated by ASU for the honor, according to the MSNBC website.

Hibbs said she was surprised by the nomination and received an email from MSNBC stating that someone had nominated her for the series and after a short vetting process she had been listed as an outstanding student leader. “I was really honored by the nomination, and it is really great to see that they are spotlighting female leaders from around the country,” she said.

Hibbs has been involved in numerous community programs and held the position of Tempe Undergraduate Student Government senator during her time at ASU, where she learned a lot about how to work in a legislative role.

“One thing that was very eye-opening during my time as a senator was the collaboration and learning to work together to get things done, “ Hibbs said. “The aspect of transparency is the other thing that I learned is very important in USG.”

Hibbs graduated with a degree in psychology in May and is now working towards a graduate degree in science and technology policy through the Consortium for Science, Policy and Outcomes at ASU.

Working at different community organizations and in the political world, Hibbs has left an impression everywhere she has gone.

Mary Peralta, assistant to Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema, said Hibbs's time working at the Phoenix district office was refreshing.

“She has this integrity and gumption that is really refreshing,” she said. “She is a beautiful writer, and I can remember the first assignment that I gave her was to draft a letter of congratulations and it had such warmth and great heart in it.”

Being a people person and seeing the big picture are two of Hibbs' strengths, Peralta said, and she uses them to her benefit.

“She’s already started graduate school and she knows how to activate and engage people and draw them in,” she said. “We have an average of five interns and interestingly that summer she interned she was one of our stronger interns and had a great ability to see the picture and she had beautiful writing skills.”

Frank Hinds, founder of Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance, said he has learned that Hibbs is a real go-getter and is always energetic from her time working as the secretary for the organization's board of directors.

“We are always kidding with her about being elected to some office in the future,” Hinds said.

While Hibbs is focusing on her graduate degree, she is still looking further down the road at what she wants to do next.

“I want to do something where I can help shape policy or inform the public about policy,” she said. “Maybe I’ll eventually run for office.

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or follow on Twitter @joey_hancock

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×