Where to celebrate Taco Tuesdays in Tempe

Three of El Hefe's fresh tacos, two dollars apiece on Tuesdays. (Photo by Aubrey Rumore)

Three of El Hefe's fresh tacos, two dollars apiece on Tuesdays. (Photo by Aubrey Rumore) Three of El Hefe's fresh tacos, two dollars apiece on Tuesdays. (Photo by Aubrey Rumore)

Mondays will always be Mondays, but Tuesdays just got a whole lot better. Alliteration blessed the week with a new holiday: Taco Tuesdays. Tempe just so happens join the trend with some of the best places to get a taco fix. Here are some of the places students can celebrate Taco Tuesdays with deals on some Mexican tortilla-wrapped snacks.

Fuzzy’s Taco Shop — 414 S Mill Ave.

Fuzzy’s Taco Shop sits toward the end of Mill Avenue beckoning students and passers-by to stop for $1.50 tacos every Tuesday. Fuzzy’s boasts the best basic taco adorned with traditional toppings including some fresh tomatoes, shredded lettuce and a little sprinkle of feta cheese. A taco from this corner shop isn’t anything frilly — it’s an original style taco joint. The only diversity taco fiends will get here lies in the choice of meat and whether they want that soft or crunchy.

Fuzzy's patron and elementary education sophomore Sarah Flattery might make Taco Tuesday a tradition.

"I love the new holiday Taco Tuesday," she said. "The tacos here are always delicious especially on Tuesdays. You can't get tacos like Fuzzy's anywhere else so I will definitely be going back."

Fuzzy’s opens at the bright hour of 10 a.m., and offers a small menu of breakfast tacos swollen with chorizo. A mix-up to the typical egg and cheese is also on the rise n’ shiner’s menu; a shrimp, egg and cheese taco for breakfast could be a bold change up for the morning routine. So whether it be a Taco Tuesday breakfast, lunch or dinner, stopping at Fuzzy’s makes for a quaint, filling Mexican-American meal. As long as the buying belly is looking for something basic and tasty, this joint will satisfy it 100 percent. Head there Thursday, Oct. 2 for National Taco Day. Fuzzy’s will be giving out tacos for a dollar. Four quarters for a tortilla-enclosed snack? Be there.

America’s Taco Shop — 735 E University Dr.

Hidden behind the carwash on at the intersection of Rural Road and University Drive is a more traditional Mexican joint, America’s Taco Shop. This gem of Tempe prides itself on its juicy carne asada and unique vampiros, reminiscent of a torta. This place also serves as a great spot to get a taco fix. America’s Taco Shop has two Tuesday steals: either four Al Pastor tacos (tacos stuffed with marinated pork and topped uniquely with grilled pineapple) or four grilled chicken tacos for $6.95.

Taco Tuesday "is big sometimes," Chef Keith Deacon said. He hopes people start picking up on the new holiday.

"It's really hit or miss," he said, but added he has noticed a slow increase in customers. "Who knows—next week it could be packed!"

America's Taco shop also serves Cochata, a cool drink to wash down some carne asada tacos. It's a combination of iced coffee and an old fashioned Mexican beverage called Horchata. Horchata is a refreshing, rich blend of spices with a distinct cinnamon flavor served cold.

This taco shop offers a lazy way out of sit-down lunch, allowing customers to place orders online. Four steamy tacos will wait for the customer at 735 East University Drive for pick up.

El Hefe — 640 S Mill Ave.

El Hefe Super Macho Taqueria has always distinguished itself on Mill Avenue by its incessantly booming sound, high-voltage happy hour and wildly flavored margaritas, but now it’s standing out for its Taco Tuesday specials. More commonly recognized for a lively bar scene, El Hefe also has a pretty tantalizing menu. Tuesdays here serve any kind of their eight tacos to choose from a dollar off, making all tacos $2.

This holiday is already getting around in Tempe, El Hefe hostess Brittany Gervais said.

"When I seat people on Taco Tuesdays I always let them know about our specials, and most of the people say, 'That's why we're here'," she said.

Reach the reporter at aerumore@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @aubreyeller

×