You need to get into alt-comedy right now — and here’s where to start

(Photo Courtesy of IFC)
(Photo Courtesy of IFC)

(Photo Courtesy of IFC) (Photo Courtesy of IFC)

"Comedy Bang! Bang!" still has its spot on IFC; Nathan Fielder’s brilliant show "Nathan For You" was renewed for a third season; Andy Daly’s genius work "Review" was renewed for another season; podcasts are becoming more and more popular allowing for more content to be created — we live in the golden age of alt-comedy.

As a comedy nerd, I’ve never been happier.

Alt-comedy is generally witty, self-deprecating, more deadpan work that makes people laugh but investigates the darkest corners of the human conscience. This deep, introspective journey into uncomfortable, personal subjects that most would rather not think about has alienated audiences for years. As I’m sure you can surmise, alt-comedy enjoyed cult status for basically ever, leaving urban basement bars crawling with brilliant material, but with the advent of the Internet, alt-comedy has found its home.

Below are a few things anyone who wants to break into this alt-comedy bonanza needs to tune into ASAP

Podcasts

"WTF with Marc Maron"

Marc Maron is manic, sincere and damn funny — and "WTF with Marc Maron" is his magnum opus. A podcast that regularly features comics and celebrities, Maron sits down with guests in Los Angeles County to simply talk about life. It’s not an interview, and it’s not an improv comedy gag — it’s more. WTF consistently hits on the insecurities and issues that its listeners, as well as its guests, face on a daily basis. The podcast’s ability to tap into the human condition is due to Maron’s unfiltered, honest approach to all sessions. Whether it’s intimacy issues, struggling with the departure of one of his many cats, or the struggle of watching your peers outmatch your successes.

Maron’s primary export is his podcast, but he also puts on a great live show. Currently his special "Thinky Pain" is on Netflix. I’ve had the pleasure of seeing him live, and you can tell that this guy understands his craft in an expert fashion.

"Comedy Bang! Bang!"

"Comedy Bang! Bang!" is one of those things where if you aren’t listening to it frequently, you’re probably not in on the joke. Hosted by Scott Aukerman, CB!B! is the podcast comedy equivalent to Catpain Beefheart. It’s bizzare, absurd, at points it’s near nonsensical, but once you get indoctrinated into their unorthodox comedic approach, you’re hooked.

To put it simply, "Comedy Bang! Bang!" is a universe where cowboy poets make love to the earth, having pickles for legs is a proposition taken seriously and a manly duck attempts to emasculate Nathan Fielder. Yes, this is a thing.

"Comedy Bang! Bang!" also enjoys a TV spot on IFC.

"Nerdist"

Of a similar vein as "WTF with Marc Maron," "Nerdist" has a cadre of celebrities come onto the podcast to share in a conversation with host extraordinaire Chris Hardwick (you may know him from talk shows "Talking Bad" and "Talking Dead").

Where "WTF with Marc Maron" goes personal, "Nerdist" is relatively light. Part of that is having a far less manic host, but it’s also the charm of Hardwick and his various other friend-hosts that talk to the guests. If you are a pop-culture nut, "Nerdist" is probably your best bet at breaking into the scene.

What’s special about "Nerdist" is its foundation in fantasy, sci-fi and gaming cultures, and using those interests to broach more philosophical discussions. It’s a normal thing for the conversation to go from '80s "Transformers" cartoons to the social traps of solipsism.

Comedy Central

Fortunately for us, we are alive during the reformation of Comedy Central. With new shows "Nathan for You" and "Review," the go-to cable station for comedy has turned itself into a home for the comic elite.

Further, CC has done a great job of incorporating the Internet into their brand. New late night game/comedy/talk show "@midnight" frequently features Twitter #hashtag wars that regularly engage audiences and encourage them to tune in for the show. Primarily relying on the improv skills of its guests, "@midnight" seems to come out fresh every night.

Animated Series

"Rick and Morty"

Arguably the best show on TV this year, "Rick and Morty" is hilarious, innovative and heartfelt at once. The first product to come from "Community" show runner Dan Harmon, the show represents Harmon’s insane labyrinth of an imagination better than anything else he’s made. The animated format lends itself nicely to the zany-ness of Harmon’s writing.

The show follows an old scientific genius named Rick and a young, naïve teenager named Morty. This "Back to the Future" dynamic sets the stage for odysseys through the dimensions, as the duo explore alternative universes and go on various quests.

Again, the wackiness is not at the sacrifice of sincerity. In fact, Harmon uses the characters to navigate some of life’s hardest questions — particularly where our place in the cosmos really is. Jokes aside, this is where the genius of the show lies.

"BoJack Horseman"

Recently released as a Netflix original, "BoJack Horseman" follows the journey of a John Stamos-style '90s sitcom star and his forays into post-stardom millennial life. The usual gags are there — he’s into drugs, is terribly narcissistic and longing for the glory days of his stardom. But at about halfway through the first season, the tone changes from the usual animated paradigm to something much deeper — something the aforementioned comics all feel is an important aspect of their craft: honesty.

Without losing a beat, the show starts to take on serious existential questions, resulting in one of the most profound and saddening animated episodes ever made, “Downer Endings.”

With the work ethic and creativity of these alt-comics, it almost seems the comedy genre is asking its audience:

“Is there any hope for me, Diane?”

Any of the works mentioned are great introductions into the ever-expanding, ever-improving world of alt-comedy. If you’re looking to go further than what I’ve mentioned, I strongly recommend you check out any of the programming on IFC.

Reach the reporter at zjenning@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @humanzane

×