ASU Homecoming unites Sun Devils through tradition

asu-homecoming-1 (Photo Courtesy of ASU)

It's been a week filled with student events, school spirit and long-standing tradition, and the “Written in the Sparks” Homecoming celebration will conclude with a parade and block party on Saturday, Nov. 1.

Students will carry candles up "A" Mountain on Friday at 8 p.m. for the 97th annual Lantern Walk. It's the University's longest standing tradition, said Kelsey Reade, a business student and member of the Homecoming committee.

The following day is the much-anticipated Homecoming Parade. The event will showcase more than 100 booths and 70 floats from a variety of departments, colleges and organizations at ASU, according to a University statement.

“This year we have 80 participants and we are expecting 15,000 to 20,000 people watching the parade,” Reade said in an email.

All students and community members are invited to watch the parade that will feature Sparky, the Sun Devil Marching Band, Sun Devil Spirit Squad and many other representatives from ASU.

The parade will run along University Drive around 4 p.m., with special guest ASU alumnus and former NFL offensive guard Randall McDaniel. The Programming and Activities Board and Sun Devil Athletics chose McDaniel to serve as the Grand Marshal of the parade, Reade said.

“This year, we selected Randall McDaniel, a two-time All-American who played on the Sun Devils' victorious 1987 Rose Bowl team,” she said. “Aside from football, Randall has made an impact in the lives of many children throughout his teaching career. Randall represents engagement, achievement and responsibility, which are the three pillars of the ASU Sun Devil Way.”

Engineering management sophomore Colin Gallacher, who is on this year's Royal Court, said he is excited to represent ASU and be part of Sun Devil tradition.

“ASU homecoming is quintessential to ASU as a long-standing tradition because of how it brings past, present and future Sun Devils together as a single community with the same goals,” he said. "Being proud of my school and showing it proudly has dramatically helped with my education and experience at ASU.”

Following the parade is the block party featuring a variety of educational activities, events, food, entertainment and much more.

Psychology junior Elizabeth Perry, who is also on this year's court, said she enjoys Homecoming because of how it unites Sun Devils of all ages and students from all campuses.

“Homecoming is my favorite part of the year because it brings everyone together,” she said. “We get the opportunity to visit every campus and truly be one united university.”

All events are open and free to all students.

Following the block party, the Sun Devils will take on the University of Utah at 8 p.m. at Sun Devil Stadium for the annual Homecoming game.

Reach the reporter at rtdavis1@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @ryantaylordavis

LikeThe State Presson Facebook and follow@statepresson Twitter.

×