Marcus Hardison quickly maturing into defensive stand-out for ASU football

ASU's defensive line pushes against USC's offensive line in a game on Oct. 4, 2014 in Los Angeles. ASU won against USC 38-34. (Photo by Alexis Macklin)

ASU's defensive line pushes against USC's offensive line in a game on Oct. 4, 2014 in Los Angeles. ASU won against USC 38-34. (Photo by Alexis Macklin) ASU's defensive line pushes against USC's offensive line in a game on Oct. 4, 2014 in Los Angeles. ASU won against USC 38-34. (Photo by Alexis Macklin)
Senior defensive end Marcus Hardison has worked his way into a permanent role in the Sun Devils defensive scheme.

After fighting for playing time in the 2013 season, Hardison has matured into his position and is impressing ASU coach Todd Graham on and off the field.

“I love Marcus, I love coaching him, I love his spirit, his character,” Graham said. “He is the biggest, strongest, most athletic, most explosive guy we have up front, and we need him to not be good but be great.”

At 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds, Hardison fills a large space on the ASU defensive front. It is his speed and athleticism, however, that makes him such a utility for defensive coordinator Keith Patterson as ASU will look to suppress Washington's rushing attack come Saturday.

Despite his size, Hardison clocks a 4.7 second 40-yard dash, speed that he will put on display as he chases down his assumed target, Washington sophomore quarterback Cyler Miles (who has been day-to-day with a concussion) on Saturday.

Miles has proven to be a mobile threat, collecting 124 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns in his seven starts this season.

Hardison gave credit to Miles' mobility, and said that he has made adjustments this week to prepare for Washington's ground attack.

“I'm going up the field, just making (Miles) give the ball, instead of pull it ... (Graham) is letting me attack more this week,” Harrison said. “I (have to) be mentally and physically ready every down. It's a challenge though, it gets to the point where I'm huffing and puffing, I look to the sideline (to) come out but I can't; I just gotta suck it up and keep going.”

That attack mentality has led Hardison to his impressive stat line, logging 19 total tackles, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble in six games thus far. In the Sun Devils season opener against Weber State, he nearly matched his 2013 season total of 5 tackles.

As for his role off the field, Graham commented on Hardison's progression over the years and his commitment to mature mentally and physically into a prominent member of the team. Coaches normally take credit for the development in their players, but Graham was quick to cite the source, he believes, of Hardison's character.

“Marcus has a great heart,” Graham said. “If you could meet his mom you'd see why he is such a great young man. (He has) great character, he has great athleticism, and he's so consistent.”

When asked about his relationship with his mom, Hardison's tough demeanor softened, and he complimented her on the influence she had in his upbringing.

“My mom is a very strong lady," Harrison said. "A single mother, she did all she could for two kids. We grew up good, I'm here, I'm blessed, I do all I can just to keep her happy.”

Additional Notes:

— Coach Todd Graham admitted to looking up the temperature forecast for Saturday's game in Seattle: a chilly 56 degrees with 90 percent chance of precipitation. After poking fun at the stark contrast between Tempe and Seattle weather, Graham said “Nobody in my building says anything about weather. I hope it does rain, it'll be nice and cool.”

Reach the reporter at csafran@asu.edu or follow him on twitter @ChrisSafran

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×