Sexual assault: Stopping a Tempe trend

A police car is seen outside the Tempe Police Department headquarters in Tempe, Oct. 16, 2014. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

A police car is seen outside the Tempe Police Department headquarters in Tempe, Oct. 16, 2014. (Photo by Ben Moffat) A police car is seen outside the Tempe Police Department headquarters in Tempe, Oct. 16, 2014. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Sexual assault in Tempe has risen 44 percent in the past five years, which has motivated the Tempe Police Department to increase awareness among the residents of Tempe and ASU.

Lt. Michael Pooley, a spokesman for the Tempe Police Department, said he believes the numbers do not show an actual increase in sexual assaults being committed, but a greater awareness and willingness to report the crimes.

Sexual assault is being treated much more seriously now than it has been in the past, which allows victims to feel better about stepping forward and reporting attacks, Pooley said.

“In the past, victims didn’t come forward because of the lack of support they received,” Pooley said.

Pooley said in many cases sexual assault is often connected with alcohol consumption. Impaired judgment caused by alcohol often plays a role in sexual assault, but is in no way an excuse, he said.

Sgt. Damon DeSpain of the Tempe PD said he believes the Sexual Assault Awareness Month Tempe Police sponsored in April was really helpful in informing Tempe citizens about sexual assault and how to handle it.

Tempe Police also has a specially trained unit for sexual assault crimes, which takes these crimes very seriously, DeSpain said.

DeSpain said the best way to prevent sexual assault and lower the number of assaults that occur in Tempe is to be aware.

“We understand we live in a college town,” he said. “We're not telling people to be locked down all the time, but be aware of your surroundings, and make sure to report suspicious activity or call police if you feel unsafe.”

Tempe police officers try to support and reassure the victims that it is not their fault and try to get them to utilize as many of the resources that they have at their disposal as possible, such as the CARE7 Crisis Response Team, DeSpain said.

CARE7 is a team of employees and volunteers who partner with Tempe PD and Tempe Fire Department to provide support for victims who have faced serious trauma.

Celeste Johnson from CARE7 said they are advocates for the victims. They offer counseling and are often there for victims from beginning to end, and they will go to the hospital with victims for rape kits and encourage them through the trial.

However, they do not just stop at counseling and judicial support, Johnson said.

“We want to help them with different basic human needs,” Johnson said.

These needs include clothing, food and even money to help the victims pay their rent. Johnson said that many times the victims “just want it to go away” and that CARE7 tries to help them cope with what has happened.

“The main thing is to be alongside them and see what they need,” Johnson said. “We try to help them understand that it’s reported and won’t just go away. They will never forget it; it’s a part of them, and we just want to help them deal with it.”

Reach the reporter at Samantha.R.Rodriguez@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @SamanthaRenee9

×