Superheroes join forces to support single parents with cancer

Polly and Kailey Grapes are among a pack of Wonder Women at the Singleton Moms Superhero Bolt 5k on Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014. The 5k run was to raise money and awareness for single parents with cancer. (Photo by Sawyer Hardebeck)

Kids lead the way as the Singleton Moms Superhero Bolt 5k begins on Saturday, Nov. 8. The 5k run was to raise money and awareness for single parents battling cancer. (Photo by Sawyer Hardebeck) Kids lead the way as the Singleton Moms Superhero Bolt 5k begins on Saturday, Nov. 8. The 5k run was to raise money and awareness for single parents battling cancer. (Photo by Sawyer Hardebeck)

The non-profit organization Singleton Moms hosted the second annual Superhero Bolt 5K run Saturday, where superheroes from all walks of life came together to battle against cancer and support single parents with cancer.

The walk and run began at Road Runner Sports in Tempe Marketplace, this year’s sponsor of the event, and led runners down a mile and a half trail around Tempe Town Lake.

Singleton Moms’ program coordinator Keeley Forrestel said the event changed slightly this year from a walk to a run to appeal to a wider audience.

“Last year, we hosted a walk rather than a 5K," Forrestel said. "However, this year we realized that more people are into running (marathons) and noticed that it was important that we get into it as well."

Road Runner Sports contributed much more to the event than just a location, Forrestel said.

“Our experience with Road Runner (Sports) has been great,” Forrestel said. “They have been involved in many ways with this event: choosing the location of the run, the duration of the course, providing water to the runners, and even setting up a fundraising website through their website.”

Nichole Karpinsky, Singleton Mom’s community outreach intern, said the partnership has been very beneficial for the organization.

“There is a Road Runner Care program that hosts runs for nonprofits across the country to help them raise money,” Karpinsky said. “Not only does it give back to the community, but it also brings attention to the program.”

Polly and Kailey Grapes are among a pack of Wonder Women at the Singleton Moms Superhero Bolt 5k on Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014. The 5k run was to raise money and awareness for single parents with cancer. (Photo by Sawyer Hardebeck) Polly and Kailey Grapes are among a pack of Wonder Women at the Singleton Moms Superhero Bolt 5k on Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014. The 5k run was to raise money and awareness for single parents with cancer. (Photo by Sawyer Hardebeck)

Heather Szymura, Singleton Mom’s fund development officer, said the organization has been able to help many with its resources.

“We have helped over 300 moms since our founding in November of 2007,” Szymura said. “The organization supports single parents and their families throughout Maricopa County.”

The organization strives not only to provide positive support to cancer patients throughout their treatment, but also support their families through several unique programs, Szymura said.

“We provide birthday boxes for the children, which offers various supplies to put together a birthday party,” Szymura said. “Our grant program, Just For Me, Just For Fun, is a program where kids an apply to get money to spend on whatever is on their wish list. The Bare Necessities drive provides families with bare necessities and items that food stamps wouldn’t necessarily cover. We give families about $150 in donated items, which are provided through community drives.”

Singleton Moms was founded in November 2007, after 32-year-old Michelle Singleton received her cancer diagnosis, while taking care of her four children.

Singleton’s long-time friends, Jody Farley-Barens and Andy Royal McCandless, began helping with typical household chores. The friends realized they could create an organization to make up for the lack of resources or support for single parents with cancer.

Since the organization was created, Szymura said they have gained a substantial group of supporters.

“Having cancer as a single parent is such a unique situation that it draws a large variety of supporters.”

Reach the reporter at Jlsuerth@asu.edu or on Twitter at @SuerthJessica.

×