"American Sniper" brings touching tale of military heroism to the big screen

Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.
Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.

Photo courtesy of Warner Bros. Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.

"American Sniper," which hit theaters everywhere on Jan. 16, is a beautifully brilliant portrayal of a true story of American heroism. Directed and produced by Clint Eastwood, this film is based on the life of sniper Chris Kyle, played by Bradley Cooper, who was considered to be the deadliest sniper in American history.

Kyle survived four tours in Iraq after the attacks on 9/11 and had 160 confirmed kills during his service. He returned home and overcame his PTSD by helping other veterans.

The film provides its audience with a look into Kyle’s journey from a child who learns to hunt from his father and how he evolves his talent to serve his country. As an adult, Kyle realizes he wants to do something more meaningful with his life than enter rodeo competitions, so he decides to enlist in the Navy. Before he is sent off to war, Kyle marries the love of his life, Taya, played by Sienna Miller.

Even for those who aren’t familiar with Kyle’s story or haven’t experienced the affects of war first hand, this film is a heart-wrenching representation of what soldiers and their families go through.

Just about everyone can relate to Kyle’s struggle to balance his desire to serve his country with his love and responsibility to his family. He faces several moments of inner conflict while overseas, such as having to shoot women and children who pose as threats to American troops.

While in Iraq, Kyle makes several phone calls to his now alone and pregnant wife, even when he’s in the midst of dangerous situations. Like anyone who’s ever had a loved one deployed, Taya misses him terribly and constantly worries about his safety.

However, even after Kyle is discharged he still doesn’t seem to be himself, and his mind is always on the war. Taya tries to pull his thoughts back home. Sienna Miller’s emotional depiction of Taya is sure to pull at the heart strings of anyone who has ever feared losing a loved one, or struggled to keep a family together.

Cooper took on a role which is quite different from his typical comedic characters. While some comedic actors may fail at branching out into serious roles, Cooper is wildly successful in transforming from a funny guy to a brawny, Texan Navy SEAL.

Cooper and Eastwood sat down with Kyle’s widow in Texas to ensure that his personality and even his mannerisms were as accurate as possible. His southern accent is surprisingly convincing. When looking at a picture of Cooper as Kyle and the actual soldier, it’s hard to tell the difference due to the 40 pounds Cooper gained for the part.

Eastwood has brilliantly weaved together moments of action, sorrow, peril and comedy, making "American Sniper" a must-see motion picture for movie lovers of any genre.

Reach the reporter at bridget.dowd@asu.edu or follow @bridgetbernice on Twitter

×