ASU hockey to call Oceanside home another season

ASU Football vs Stanford
against Colorado State, Friday, Oct. 31, 2014 at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Mak Barden skates with the puck against Colorado State, Friday, Oct. 31, 2014 at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils beat the Rams 8-0. (Photo by Ben Moffat) Mak Barden skates with the puck against Colorado State on Friday, Oct. 31, 2014 at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. ASU will continue playing at Oceanside during its hybrid 2015-16 season. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Earlier this season, the No. 1 ASU hockey team announced it would be transitioning into NCAA Division I, playing a hybrid of NCAA and ACHA teams in 2015-16. This move was made possible by longtime hockey supporters and their $32 million donation.

The team's move brought questions about where the team would play, with its current home (Oceanside Ice Arena) only having a capacity of 500. But for at least one more season, ASU will play at Oceanside Ice Arena and the arena will be renovated.

In a Facebook post, the arena announced, "We are the home of ASU NCAA hockey for the 15-16 season and beyond," and in a second Facebook post said, "The renovation to the arena is extensive but we will only be down for 2 weeks - 1 week in March and 1 week in July."

https://twitter.com/OceansideIce/status/554739659620618240

The arena location for 2015-16 was first reported by azcentral sports's Jeff Metcalfe.

"We need your help building an arena that will help us now be a top-tier Division I program," Athletic Director Ray Anderson told him. "We think that will come. For our hybrid year (2015-16), we'll stay at Oceanside (Arena). We're potentially having discussions about playing some of the bigger games perhaps in Glendale if we bring a really big team in here."

Reach the reporter at kewens@asu.edu or follow @katlynewens on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×