Boy bands: Here to stay

(Photo courtesy of Columbia Records)
(Photo courtesy of Columbia Records)

Skydiving, public speaking and enclosed spaces may strike genuine fear in the hearts of millions, but nothing is quite as terrifying as the power of a fired-up boy-band fangirl at the peak of her obsession.

What is it about these gentlemen that gives them the uncanny ability to impact the life choices and emotional wellness of each fan who follows them? Is it just their pretty faces, or is there something in the underlying make up of the music world that has allowed their kind to thrive for so long?

Although some may argue that the golden age of the boy band has ended, I beg to differ. In fact, perhaps what makes the boy band trend so exceptional is that it truly has never ended, unlike other musical trends. No matter how the world around these men changes, their influence remains shockingly powerful.

To illustrate the immortality of the boy band, take a look at some of the greats:

(Photo courtesy of Parlophone Records) Photo courtesy of Parlophone Records.

The Beatles: Formed in England in 1960, the Beatles dominated the airwaves with their eclectic rock and roll sound and international accessibility. One of the many reasons this band is significant is because they did so much more than simply attract large crowds and top out the charts; they lyrically and thematically revolutionized the musical content of the time. This is what has allowed them to remain "relevant after decades."

Although the Beatles never had to deal with crazed preteen fans spamming its Twitter mentions with proclamations of love, the group's fan base was still immense, international and powerful. In spite of not having social media to connect them to diverse fans at just the tap of a button, the Beatles interacted with those who loved them in charmingly organic ways.

The Osmonds: It has been over five decades since these charming American brothers first invaded the televisions and radios of millions, yet googly-eyed modern moms can still strike up passionate conversations about their first Osmond crushes. These wholesome brothers stand out in history because they presented very well-rounded entertainment. Although the band started performing on variety shows, they eventually landed a record deal and produced several hits. The boys were even featured in their own Saturday-morning cartoon series on ABC, proving that they really could thrive in any medium. Modern boy bands often try their hand at television after finding success in music, but few have done it quite as well as the Osmonds.

The '90s boys: Many would agree that the tsunami of pop groups that invaded the world in the mid-1990s primarily gained velocity thanks to the efforts of suave boy band pioneers such as Nick Carter, Justin Timberlake, Nick Lachey and the members of Boyz II Men. The daily lives of average '90s girls in the U.S. simply were not complete without the latest episode of "Total Request Live" and a pile of hit clips featuring the newest pop singles. Even if you don't feel like these groups did anything to revolutionize the pop music of the time, you must admit that they beautifully rode the wave of the changing sound with grace and elegance. These gentlemen made the ladies swoon not only through their smooth, pulsating harmonies, but also their killer dance moves. Don't forget about the smooth R&B; vibes of crooners such as New Edition and B2K.

This was also the era when boy bands starting coordinating their outfits in the some of the most iconic ways imaginable. This combination of intensely '90s attire, sleek dance moves and natural vocal abilities made this period of boy bands a force to be reckoned with in the music world. Additionally, the extreme battles fans would have over the dominating group was always a sight to see.

Jonas Brothers: Nick, Joe and Kevin came onto the scene right as social media began peeking its ominous head over the mountaintops. One could say these boys followed closely in the footsteps of the Osmond brothers, acting on television and in TV movies together while producing family-friendly hits that rocked the tween world. Whether the band's acting was high-quality and successful is for you to decide. Regardless, the Jonas Brothers brought something a little more unique to the table by writing most of its own lyrics and playing its own instruments.

As a recovering Jonas devotee myself, I can attest to the uncanny ability of the brothers to win the hearts of fans through even the most mediocre means; I spent numerous 2009 evenings sifting through episodes of the boys' "Living The Dream" series, and that was more than enough for me. Even before they took to Twitter and Instagram to engage the public, the boys were masters of connecting with fans on a deeply personal level.

(Photo courtesy of Columbia Records) Photo courtesy of Columbia Records.

One Direction: Talking to a diehard "directioner" for even two minutes can be one of the most surreal experiences. To hoards of insane fans around the world, these "X-Factor" alums seem to exist on an alternate plane of existence where their perfection can bless the rest of the earth without fading away. These boys have surfed the golden wave of pop and added a unique mix of bubble gum melodies and soulfulness that has allowed them to dominate the charts and the world as a whole.

The era in which they are reigning is distinct, because it is interactive on a level that has never existed before. The boys occasionally interact with their lucky fans on Twitter and other social media outlets, which only makes the obsession more powerful.

Perhaps One Direction hasn't quite shifted the entire industry the way the Beatles did or spread into other artistic mediums like the dancing '90s boys or the Osmonds (in fact, all five of the One Direction members are terrible dancers), but you don't need to be a 13-year-old girl to recognize the insane impact they've had on society. It doesn't hurt that they all carry the triple threat of being vocally gifted, easy on the eyes and genuinely kind young men.

No matter how you feel about mainstream pop, it's hard to escape the influence of boy bands that have dominated through the decades. The media landscape may have changed drastically over the past few decades, but these men have evolved with the times and managed to stay engaged with those who love and follow them. Through the group's words and actions, they've even managed to honor those boy band legends who have come before them.

Send your favorite photo of Harry Styles or Zayn Malik to the reporter at celina.jimenez@asu.edu or on twitter @lina_lauren.

×