Devils of Arizona State — week of Jan. 15, 2015

Interior design major Areej Al-dar sits next to the Matthews Center, patiently waiting for class to start. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press)

Each week, reporter Ryan Santistevan shares the stories of a handful of ASU students found wandering around the University's campuses. Here are five from the Tempe campus.

Software engineering graduate student Akkshaya Gopalakrishnan

Software engineering graduate student Akkshaya Gopalakrishnan stands outside waiting for friends on Jan. 12, 2015. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press) Akkshaya Gopalakrishnan (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press)

"I am from India. I came here to complete my masters in software engineering. I love it more here, because it's more flexible with studying. There's more practical way of doing things here."

"The food doesn't have as much flavor, like come home to me, and I can cook you something way better. The lack of options is how they trap us from still buying their food."

Secondary education major Corban Skills

Secondary education major Corban Skills sits outside Hassayampa Academic Village on Jan. 12. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press) Corban Skills (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press)

"I make my own tie-dye. I like it because I get to make it. It's like you don't know how it's going to turn out, different every time. I am studying secondary education."

"I don't like the education system of the country, so I figure if I can like be a teacher and have a classroom, that at least in my classroom with my students I can make a better change."

Mathematics major Natalie Erickson

Mathematics major Natalie Erickson sits on a bench next to Palm Walk as she waits for her class to start. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press) Natalie Erickson (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press)

"I'm from Arizona. I am studying mathematics to become a high school math teacher. Ultimately, I want to become a professor for a university. I like math; I love it. I love ASU; my parents came here."

Secondary education freshman Jake Suave

Secondary education major Jake Suave sits outside Hassayampa Academic Village after eating dinner. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press) Jake Suave (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press)

"I'm from Vermont and I came down here to Arizona State because the education program is No. 1 in the country. Also it's warm, and I have family here."

"(I want my legacy to be) that I was a nice guy and I did what I could to help people."

Interior design major Areej Al-dar

Interior design major Areej Al-dar sits next to the Matthews Center, patiently waiting for class to start. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press) Areej Al-dar(Ryan Santistevan/The State Press)

"I'm from Saudi Arabia. I heard here was a good university along with the programs which is why Icame here. I will stay for four years and a half. Today is kinda cloudy, I feel like when the sun is out but not too bright that it brings a good day; otherwise, it's just a weird kind of day."

Each of these Sun Devils come from different origins but all have their own story to share. No two people are the same but each and everyone I talked to said the truest statement of them all: that ASU is the place to be.

Reach the reporter at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter

×