'Go, Go, Go,' see 'Joseph' at ASU Gammage

Arizona State's Gammage Theater is pictured in Tempe. 

ASU Gammage Theater in Tempe. (Andrew Ybanez/The State Press) ASU Gammage Theater in Tempe. (Andrew Ybanez/The State Press)

“Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” has once again triumphed, this time demonstrating its lasting charm and feel-good celebration of color and music at ASU’s Grady Gammage Memorial Auditorium.

The age-old biblical story of Joseph was reborn in the 1973 West End production created by the god of Broadway himself, Andrew Lloyd Webber, who masterfully matched it to catchy tunes and a family-friendly theme.

The musical tells the story of Joseph, son of Jacob, who is sold into slavery by his jealous brothers and then rises to become Pharaoh’s “No. 2.” Joseph later forgives his brothers when they come to Egypt from famished Canaan begging for food.

My experience with “Joseph” goes back to grade school when I performed in a youth theater production of the show. I had an ensemble role in Pharaoh’s choir. Looking back, I remember the show being fun to sing, because I understood the storyline from Sunday school.

This production is much sexier.

Lovers of strong abdominals, you will not be disappointed. The costume design is fun and modern, displaying plenty of skin while maintaining the traditional idea of biblical-era clothing (think flowing pants and shawls). And of course, there is an abundance of color, as is appropriate for a show with the word technicolor in its title.

My one disappointment was actually Joseph’s eponymous Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. In the second song of the show, Joseph exclaims, “I look handsome/I look smart/ I am a walking work of art.”

Maybe a child’s work of art? The coat is garish. One could argue the whole show is meant to be garish, but they could do better.

The rather simple set design is complemented by colorful lighting and thankfully neither detracts from the twirling costumes and continuous dancing. Yet in true Andrew Lloyd Webber fashion, the dancing is not the only constant. The musical is sung from start to finish, making it really more of a rock opera.

I have to admit, I fangirled hard when I read the program and discovered Diana DeGarmo and Ace Young were headlining. I recognized Young from his lead role in “Hair," one of my favorite Broadway shows. It’s a logical transition since both shows involve shirtless costumes and sculpted muscles.

During the American Idol season in 2004, I rooted for DeGarmo and diligently campaigned for her among my friends as she raced to the finals of the hit Fox show. Sorry Fantasia, but Diana is clearly the more successful of you both, despite her runner-up status.

DeGarmo stuns with her incredible, brassy belt and brings a unique voice to the role of Narrator with her slight country twang. She is effervescent and simply a delight to watch. Notable performances include “Pharaoh Story," “Go, Go, Go Joseph” and of course the opening number “You Are What You Feel/Jacob and Sons."

Despite Young’s distracting physique, he sells it in his role as Joseph, bringing just the right amount of annoying little brother with his nasally tenor. He’s quite fun to look at, but unfortunately for us he is already married to none other than his co-star Diana DeGarmo.

Young’s performance of “Close Every Door” was particularly moving, though not because of his voice. The song itself is downright beautiful.

While other songs in the musical explore a wide range of musical styles, from “Benjamin Calypso” to the rodeo tap routine “One More Angel in Heaven” to the Elvis-style rock and roll “Song of the King," “Close Every Door” sticks to a simple but powerful refrain.

The subtle Arabian flute melody combined with the string orchestra and lyrics create a stirring, dramatic experience for the audience.

Young didn’t even have to nail it for the song to resonate. Credit here goes to composer Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyricist Tim Rice. It’s just that well written.

The cast is talented, with a few particularly memorable members. Claire Camp as Potiphar’s Wife skillfully walks the fine line between playful and sexual in her attempt to seduce Joseph, entertaining the audience with her impressive dance technique while keeping it lighthearted and PG for the kids.

Paul Castree as Simeon, however, stole the show. And he knew it.

Castree’s lead performance in “Those Canaan Days” is an absolute showstopper. In the parody of a French ballad, Simeon and the remaining 10 brothers reflect (in harmony, of course) on the family’s struggles since the glory days in Canaan. The song alone is tongue-in-cheek funny, but Castree takes it to a new level with his remarkable voice command and over-the-top French accent.

The audience’s excessive applause said it all.

Don’t miss “Joseph” at ASU Gammage Jan. 13 through Jan. 18. Find tickets online at asugammage.com.

Reach the reporter at enichol3@asu.edu or follow @LizNichols4 on Twitter.

×