POINT: Doug Ducey can make this century Arizona’s greatest

Doug Ducey taking his oath to office as Arizona's governor with his family beside him.  The inauguration took place at the State Capitol courtyard on January 5, 2015.  (Photo by Emily Johnson)
Doug Ducey taking his oath to office as Arizona's governor with his family beside him. The inauguration took place at the State Capitol courtyard on January 5, 2015. (Photo by Emily Johnson)

The sun rose over a brisk, cold morning with clear skies and bustling vehicles. It spoke to a fresh day that characterized the challenges and obstacles that will shake and rattle the state of Arizona moving forward, but also to a day that proved that the sun will not be deterred from shining over our state. As that sun rose, interns, volunteers and security at the state Capitol bustled about under the watchful gaze of the Goddess of Victory, laying the groundwork and preparing the stage for the man who would ultimately take the stage and speak at noon: The Honorable Douglas A. Ducey.

But the inaugural ceremonies on Monday weren’t just about Gov. Ducey. In fact, five other leaders received their inaugural orders. The most common sentiment the leaders shared was that Arizona is the greatest state in the U.S.

Listening to the leadership at the podium, I heard the united message stand out, coming across more as a collective mission statement than just another example of provincial pride. Derrick Hall, president and CEO of the Arizona Diamondbacks and master of ceremonies, said it is time to “shine the spotlight on Arizona, showing the nation and the entire world what we have to offer.” Joe Hart, mine inspector, characterized the transition as “an opportunity for us to take a lead in all the United States of America.”

Doug Ducey taking his oath to office as Arizona's governor with his family beside him.  The inauguration took place at the State Capitol courtyard on January 5, 2015.  (Photo by Emily Johnson) Doug Ducey takes his oath to office as Arizona's governor with his family beside him. The inauguration took place at the state Capitol courtyard on Jan. 5, 2015. (Photo by Emily Johnson)
The message was reiterated by Jeffrey DeWit, state treasurer, who said he would help his fellow leaders “work to make Arizona the best state in the country.” And, finally, it came from Ducey, who, near the closing of his remarks, said “Arizona is still too far down the list in the rankings ... we have what it takes to be at the top.” The message rang out as clear as the sky was blue: just as the second century of our existence as a state is a new dawn in Arizona history, so also the election and inauguration of these leaders is a new dawn in Arizona governance.

That starts with admitting that we aren’t where we should be. Many times Ducey highlighted this and promised that his administration would take steps to ensure that Arizona’s greatness would become apparent. By doing this, he rebuked many of the policies of the past without specifically rebuking the predecessor who put them in place. Admitting mistakes is the first step to fixing them. Unlike what my colleague Zach Josephson would have you believe, this new leadership will not bring more of the same.

If Ducey is going to make Arizona the greatest state in the nation, he needs to be pragmatic and unifying — a governor of all Arizonans, as he put it. What this means is providing a comprehensive plan on all aspects of governance. It also means working with the national government and not in opposition, despite the rancor and bitterness emanating from Washington. Ducey needs to use the political capital he has, his clear mandate from voters and his innovative and effective team of state-wide officials, in conjunction with a new crop of young people willing to support many of his new initiatives to not only work towards his ambitious vision, but also create a legacy for future governors. His fresh outlook, the skills he demonstrated while state treasurer and his stellar education from and lifetime association with ASU — which is as innovative as Ducey, as the New American University — only cement my conviction that he would be the governor to create such a legacy.

I believe Ducey said it best himself: “We are not measured by the promises we make…the true measure is taken in the work we finish, the good we do, and the commitments we keep.” If Ducey uses the tools and resources he has to the best of his advantage and to the advantage of all other Arizonans, focusing on duty, reality, and arithmetic as he promised, Arizona’s new century will indeed be its greatest, and it will rise to the place its leaders have envisioned for it.

Reach the columnist at jbrunne2@asu.edu or follow @MrAmbassador4 on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×