Tempe Police: Man purposely hits head on police car to resist arrest

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

• A 21-year-old Tempe man was arrested Dec. 24 on the 2200 block of College Avenue on suspicion of threatening to damage property, criminal damage, resisting arrest and marijuana possession, according to a police report.

The man was contacted because of a domestic violence dispute, and he began threatening to kill the officer’s mother and children, police reported.

The man continued to yell and swear at the officer while another police officer attempted to detain him, according to the report.

While being handcuffed, the man started hitting his head on the window of a patrol vehicle, police reported.

The man also refused to stand up and began spitting through the cage of the car onto the officer, according to the report.

The man also repeatedly kicked the car door, which bent it out of shape, police reported.

Officers also found a plastic container of marijuana while searching the man and saw that he had a suspended license, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

• A 23-year-old man was arrested Dec. 31 on the 800 block of East Southern Avenue on suspicion of shoplifting, marijuana possession and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

Walmart employees contacted police after they noticed the man take a hoodie off the shelf and try to leave the store without paying for it, police reported.

Officers searched the man and found a “Switch N Carry” case attached to his belt, according to the report.

The case was full of bags of marijuana that had been wrapped in red tape, police reported. Officers also found a metal marijuana pipe in the man’s pocket, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released pending charges, police reported.

Reports compiled by Shelby Slade.

Reach the news editor at sgslade@asu or follow @shelbygslade on Twitter.

×