ASU alumnus leads 'Memory and Identity' workshop for fellow writers

LGBT Devils Pride members gather for a Memory and Identity Workshop featuring Rigoberto González on Wednesday at Old Main in Tempe. Rigoberto González is an ASU alumnus and was most recently awarded the Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize and the Lambda Literary Award for his 2013 book “Unpeopled Eden.” (Krista Tillman/ The State Press).

Rigoberto González reading an excerpt from his memoir "Butterfly Boy: Memories of a Chicano Mariposa" on Wednesday at Old Main in Tempe. Rigoberto González is an ASU alumnus and was most recently awarded the Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize and the Lambda Literary Award for his 2013 book “Unpeopled Eden.” (Krista Tillman/ The State Press). Rigoberto González reading an excerpt from his memoir "Butterfly Boy: Memories of a Chicano Mariposa" on Wednesday at Old Main in Tempe. Rigoberto González is an ASU alumnus and was most recently awarded the Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize and the Lambda Literary Award for his 2013 book “Unpeopled Eden.” (Krista Tillman/The State Press)

ASU alumnus and author Rigoberto González led a reading and writing workshop Wednesday to assist fellow autobiographical writers interested in publishing their experiences.

The event, sponsored by the LGBT Devil’s Pride chapter at ASU focused on the inspiration of memories and personal identity through his readings and advice, González said in an email.

“Memory and identity are the backbone of autobiographical writing,” he said. “By looking back to the past for inspiration and information writers can shape the narrative of their lives….we are complicated human beings with contradictions and flaws, and we can find room for all of that complexity when we step back and examine who we truly are and why.”

Focusing on life experiences while writing leads to a better sense of individuality, González said.

“Autobiographical writing has helped me gain insights on my journey so far in order to appreciate my family’s immigrant trajectory, the role of my Mexican heritage and culture in shaping my individuality,” he said. “I would like to share that process of self-discovery with others.”

González said he chose to lead his workshop through the LGBT Devil’s Pride network because writing has guided his experiences with sexual orientation.

“Since I had to navigate Arizona and ASU as a gay man, I thought it was important to connect with an organization that would benefit from hearing my story, and from learning about nonfiction writing—a tool that has helped me cope with negative experiences and celebrate positive ones,” he said.

Autobiographical stories empower the LGBT community, González said.

“As the LGBT population continues to step out of the shadows, it’s important for the literature to reflect the range of experiences that help all of us become a more visible community,” he said.

LGBT Devils Pride members gather for a Memory and Identity Workshop featuring Rigoberto González on Wednesday at Old Main in Tempe. Rigoberto González is an ASU alumnus and was most recently awarded the Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize and the Lambda Literary Award for his 2013 book “Unpeopled Eden.” (Krista Tillman/ The State Press). LGBT Devils Pride members gather for a Memory and Identity Workshop featuring Rigoberto González on Wednesday at Old Main in Tempe. Rigoberto González is an ASU alumnus and was most recently awarded the Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize and the Lambda Literary Award for his 2013 book “Unpeopled Eden.” (Krista Tillman/The State Press)

González said he wants participants to hone the self-confidence necessary for sharing personal stories.

“(I hope attendees feel) a sense of relevance about their stories, an understanding that their lives are important subject matter for story and that somebody out there is waiting to hear and be inspired by their personal journeys,” he said.

González’s story helped inspire other ASU-affiliated writers, such as ASU provost office communications director Margaret Coulombe.

“The speaker was wonderful and amazing, and it’s even more amazing that he came from this program and accomplished these amazing things, impacting all of these other people,” she said.

Coulombe said anyone can relate to González’s writings because his emotions are universal.

“Every one of us can identify with those stories of us and our families and being kids,” she said. “I obviously don’t have the same experience as him, but I really understand those feelings and having those thoughts, and the way he is able to express them is inspiring.”

The stories and poems shared throughout the workshop can serve as a lesson for other aspiring writers, LGBT Devil’s Pride president Gabriel Escontrías said.

“I think a lot of us grapple with various things when we think about our identity,” he said. “We have our gender, we have our sexuality, we have our ethnicity –– you keep adding all of these layers. I feel like his books express him really well and (people can learn from that).”

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow @aimeenplante on Twitter.

×