Jorge's Chicken & Waffles fuses two cuisines

Along Apache Blvd in Tempe, just out of the shadow of 922 Place, a new player in the late-night craving game opened. This new venture, located at 1212 E Apache Blvd, is Jorge's Chicken & Waffles. Jorge's aims to serve the community with a menu that fuses classic chicken & waffles with Mexican cuisine.

Jorge's is actually a bit more full-blown than a fusion of chicken and waffles with Mexican food, with hamburgers, scrambles, eggs, waffles, burritos, salads and tacos, to name a few options. I'm stuffed just reading about the exhaustive offerings.

When I walked in, it took me a second to make sense of the fusion in the decor. It offered both wooden paneling in a Southwestern style, but also vinyl booths reminiscent of Motown.

I got my menu in an old album sleeve of the Annapolis Brass Quintet, a nice touch that kept me grounded in the attempted chicken and waffles aesthetic. That, however, was the only jazz-related thing I saw, minus the weird color pallate in the restaurant and jazz album covers adorning the wall. The restaurant played an alienating Pandora station.

I decided I wanted something representative of the fusion this place represents. I got the enormous Chicken Waffle Cone appetizer. Which, at $7, wouldn't break the bank.

What did put me over the top was the Cartel cold brew I ordered, at $4. The cold brew, after confusing the wait staff, was the least alienating thing in the restaurant and I felt like I needed it as a security blanket.

My waffle cone adventure was well-rewarded. The plate was balanced with three strips of fried chicken inside the warm cone, with a side of jalapeño coleslaw. The slaw didn't burn a hole in my palate, and it was a nice cool respite from the other warm aspects of the dish.

A waiter came over halfway through my meal and gave me syrup to put on the waffle cone. I rejected this as an attempt to ruin my dining experience. Fusion only goes so far. A "spicy-sweet" experience sounds awful.

I almost don't want to write this, but the coleslaw presents a mind-bending paradox. It's hot (with the jalapeño), yet cool (with the cabbage and radicchio). It's fun to think about.

The water was served in a Mason jar, reminiscent of a recent nightmare I had about Williamsburg. It also reminded me the serving habits of a perhaps more successful venture in chicken and waffles (rhymes with "Co-Co's").

Despite the copycat of that other restaurant chain, there's something special that Jorge's will bring to Tempe: timing.

"On the weekends we will serve our full menu until 3 a.m. The Phoenix metro area needs a local restaurant open past midnight,” owner Dave Knapp said in a press release.

Jorge's will be open Sunday to Thursday from 8 a.m.—10 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 8 a.m.—3 a.m.

Tell the reporter your Mason jar-related nightmares at pnorthfe@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @peternorthfelt

×