Local band Bear State creates toe-tapping lullabies

Lately, I've been trying to tap more into the local music scene here in the Valley. To my discredit, and coming from Chicago, I'd never given Phoenix the props it deserves when it comes to local bands.

Over the Christmas holiday, I spent roughly two hours inside Stinkweeds, the go-to record store when you're in need of anything under the musical sun. I was looking for a vinyl that would serve as my nephew's first in what could potentially be a fantastic collection. Throughout my mission, I chatted with the store clerk who listed off a variety of Phoenix acts and suggested I check them out. I walked out with a new goal, along with Nick Drake's Pink Moon. Success.

I decided to revisit my mission and found a little band by the name of Bear State. Their sound is dreamy and a little moody and is the perfect fit for wandering around with firmly planted ear buds. With lyrics hinting at lullaby, they softly carry throughout the lighter notes.

Bear State's catalog demonstrates all-inclusive cohesiveness, with an even theme throughout the tracks on "Hello Alexander", their EP released last year. Undeniably catchy, yet nothing overboard, "I Might As Well Jump Off the Mezzanine" combines a toe-tapping rhythm with a small amount of restraint, which works perfectly well.

You can check out Bear State at their next show on Saturday, February 28 at Stinkweeds. While you're there, why not add to your vinyl collection?

Reach the columnist at Katie.Self@asu.edu or on Twitter @rallykate. You can also find her on Spotify at Katie Self.

Katie Self is a fan of all things music-related. Having spent many years traveling to see bands all over the country, she has been fortunate enough to visit venues such as Madison Square Garden, Alpine Valley, Red Rocks and The Gorge. Katie has essentially put Dave Matthew’s children through college with the amount of money spent on DMB shows (78 and counting), and has recently gone on a country kick. She also enjoys carbs and her munchkin kitty, Buster.

×