UnDrakeable: rap's sad boy rises from oblivion (Miami?), drops surprise mixtape

Drake & Lil Wayne, Sept. 25, 2014
Drake performs at the Ak-Chin Pavilion in Phoenix, Thursday, Sept. 25, 2014. The rapper shared the bill with Lil Wayne in a show entitled “Drake vs Lil Wayne”. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Drake performs at the Ak-Chin Pavilion in Phoenix, Thursday, Sept. 25, 2014. The rapper shared the bill with Lil Wayne in a show entitled “Drake vs Lil Wayne”. (Photo by Ben Moffat) Drake performs at the Ak-Chin Pavilion in Phoenix, Thursday, Sept. 25, 2014. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

The United States' favorite Canadian hearthrob (no, not Justin Beiber) and former "Degrassi" star Drake is back — but if you're just now reading about this, it's probably too late. While we were all sleeping, Drake pulled a Queen Bey and dropped a surprise 17-track album mixtape. The world rejoiced for the return of Champagne Papi. After releasing some songs in late 2014, Drake dropped "If You're Reading This It's Too Late" rather than his rumored and highly anticipated album "Views from the 6."

Here's some fan reactions:

Some saved you the listen. Here's the TL;DL ( Too long; Didn't Listen) version:

There were expert-ish(?) reviews.  

Drake's new album is so fire it lets you achieve the impossible — like listening to his 17-track mixed tape four times in one day. You do you, friend.

Listening to Drake is all about aesthetics, ya know?

And bad wordplay. Yikes.

Moms. They just don't understand.

Long story short, "Drake is love; Drake is Life."

TL;DR: It's Drake's world, and we're living in it. For now, it's worth the $12.99 for the "mixtape" (tbh, IT'S AN ALBUM, DRAKE) to hold over anyone who's having a romantically scarring year, a plain old bad year, a fire year or just needed to spend a lil' bit of time Draking until "Views from the 6" is dropped. Thanks for the surprise, Aubrey. We're truly #Blessed.

Tell the opinion editor your favorite Drake song at opinions.statepress@gmail.com or follow @Mikayrodr on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×