ASU athletics releases revised look at Sun Devil Stadium renovation project

BXXCCRZFRBIIUAM.20150303212620 ASU released a new rendering of the Sun Devil Stadium renovation plans on Tuesday. (Photo Courtesy of ASU Athletics)

The ASU athletic department released a revised rendering of the Sun Devil Stadium renovation project Tuesday evening in a press release, including a new "Double Inferno" student section.

ASU's Sun Devil Stadium renovation project is headed by the design team of Gould Evans and HNTB Corporation. Among the new features in the stadium's "reinvention": a new student section, improved seating/legroom, increased restrooms, more concession options, more premium seating options and a new video and sound system.

The release of the rendering comes just a week before Sun Devil football season ticket renewal begins, allowing season ticket holders to get a better look of where they will be sitting next season.

Through a partnership with Ballerina Technologies, prospective season ticket holders will be able to see a 3-D rendering of their seat selection in the renewed model.

Construction on "Phase 1" of the renovation project is expected to be complete before the season starts in August. This phase includes moving the student section, coined "The Inferno", to the south end zone. In addition, overflow student section seating will take place in the north end zone to create what ASU football coach Todd Graham called the "Double Inferno".

Phase 1 will also include the removal of the existing steel bleachers and replacing them with permanent seating. The existing loge sections in the southeast and southwest end zones will also be largely removed.

Phases 2 and 3 of the renovation project will take place in the off season during 2016 and 2017.

Reach the assistant sports editor at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×