ASU hockey finishes third in final ACHA season

ASU hockey players celebrate in an ACHA playoff game in Strongsville, Ohio. The Sun Devils will play in the semifinals on March 9. (Photo courtesy of Nicole Vasquez)

ASU hockey players celebrate in an ACHA playoff game in Strongsville, Ohio. The Sun Devils will play in the semifinals on March 9. (Photo courtesy of Nicole Vasquez) ASU hockey players celebrate in an ACHA playoff game in Strongsville, Ohio. The Sun Devils will play in the semifinals on March 9. (Photo courtesy of Nicole Vasquez)

Despite the fact that the road the Cleveland did not end as ASU hockey had hoped, the team had a strong final ACHA season.

The Sun Devils kicked off their season with an eight-game winning streak that was ended by now-national champions, Central Oklahoma, back on Oct. 16.

ASU doubled their losses this year with four, compared to last season’s two. They did not lose back-to-back games or to the same team twice in the regular season. Along with Central Oklahoma, Oklahoma and Stony Brook were the only other teams to defeat the Sun Devils.

At no point during the regular season was ASU ranked below No. 2 in the country, per the weekly ACHA national rankings.

Six players were chosen to represent Team USA in the University World games this year including forwards Sean Murphy, Chris Burkemper, and Ryan Belonger, as well as defensemen Jordan Young, Connor Schmidt, and Edward McGovern. These six players traveling was not only the best thing for them, but for the team as well. This absence was the birth of something great.

The Norris-Norris-Rivard line.

The Norris brothers became a thing with the absence of these players. The synergy that sophomore forward David Norris and senior forward Liam Norris showed off late in the season contributed greatly to the team’s success, and adding sophomore left wing Eric Rivard was just pure magic.

This line dominated numerous times in the season including the first national tournament game against Colorado with a combined six goals and nine assists.

Sophomore goalie Robert Levin had a phenomenal season leading up to the national tournament with nine shutouts, one more than the previous season, then came the exhibition game against Arizona back in February.

During the final game of the regular season, Levin blocked a shot and went down, later finding out he had torn his ACL and would not be playing in the tournament.

This was a huge loss for the Sun Devil and many doubted the team, especially going into the biggest tournament of the season. The big question was, Who is going to play in the national tournament?

Lucas Felbel.

Sophomore goalie Lucas Felbel had only played three games before finding out he would be the starting goalie in Cleveland.

What an opportunity, what a performance.

Out of the 72 shots on net, Felbel let in five, leading ASU to two victories against Colorado and Lindenwood, and one tough loss to Stony Brook.

“He (Felbel) looked solid, he was confident, he’s rebound control was good,” Coach Powers said after the first game of the tournament. “Very happy with his play.”

ASU was unable to win back-to-back championships but they do have an exciting future. The Sun Devils will start their move to NCAA Division I with a 2015-16 hybrid season.

The ACHA was not the only thing the team had to say goodbye to. The team might not be the exact same next season but two seniors won't play for ASU hockey again. Faiz Khan and Liam Norris had their last game with the team on Monday.

“When we leave that room (Cleveland locker room), we will never be in a room together again, that exact group,” Powers said after ASU was eliminated at the national tournament. “It’s sad because we’ve got a hell of a team.”

Top performers of the season:

Most goals: Eric Rivard – 26 goals

Most assists: Liam Norris – 41 assists

Most points: Liam Norris – 57 points (16 goals and 41 assists)

Defenseman with most goals: Edward McGovern – 12 goals

Defenseman with most assists: Connor Schmidt – 22 assists

Goalie with most shutouts: Robert Levin - nine shutouts

Reach the reporter at kewens@asu.edu or follow @katlynewens on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×