ASU softball evens series with Washington

Freshman Breanna Macha throws a no-hitter against Binghamton at Farrington Stadium on Friday Feb. 27,2015. (Jacob Stanek/State Press) Freshman Breanna Macha throws a no-hitter against Binghamton at Farrington Stadium on Friday Feb. 27,2015. (Jacob Stanek/State Press)

No. 22 ASU softball (20-9, 1-1 Pac-12) split the first two games of a series against No. 17 Washington (26-5, 1-1) after defeating the Huskies 9-7 in Seattle on Saturday.

Game two of three featured plenty of offense, and it started for the Sun Devils early as ASU loaded the bases and walked a run in with two outs, making it 1-0.

In the next at-bat, senior first baseman Bethany Kemp did what she does best, sending her third grand slam of the season soaring over the left field wall, pushing the ASU advantage to 5-0.

Right after the grand slam by Kemp, junior Nikki Girard stepped up to the plate and smacked a solo home run of her own to left field, making it 6-0 after the top of the first frame.

Washington responded in the bottom of the inning with a solo shot soon after from sophomore shortstop Ali Aguilar, bringing them within five.

The second inning brought no offense for the Sun Devils, but plenty for the Huskies as freshman left fielder Taylor Van Zee smacked a three-run double to right center to cut the deficit down to two.

In the fourth, both ASU and UW notched one additional run apiece from a sacrifice fly and a solo home run, respectively.

Entering the sixth inning with a 7-5 advantage, ASU senior catcher Amber Freeman crushed a two-run double that ballooned the Sun Devils' lead to 9-5.

But Washington fought back in the bottom of the sixth and seventh innings, getting back one run in each frame from a home run and an RBI single. The Huskies needed two more to extend this game, however, and dropped game two by a final margin of 9-7.

In the circle in this game for ASU was freshman Dale Ryndak, who attacked the zone of a dangerous Husky lineup and paid the price despite the win. Ryndak allowed eight hits and six runs in six innings of work before fellow freshman Breanna Macha came in and got the save in the seventh.

Sun Devils fall in 13 innings

Game one stretched thirteen innings on Friday the 13th and proved unlucky for the Sun Devils, who fell 8-7 in a marathon of a matchup.

Freeman broke the offensive seal in the top of the first inning with a 2-run home run, putting ASU on top 2-0 early.

The bottom of the first inning provided a challenge for Macha, who got the start in the circle for the Sun Devils and pitched the majority of the innings in a game that was nearly as long as two. Washington managed three runs in the first frame against Macha, including two homers.

Senior outfielder Elizabeth Caporuscio and sophomore shortstop Chelsea Gonzales added some offense for ASU in the top of the third inning, contributing three runs off of a double and a fielder's choice.

UW went through a three-inning stretch where it scored four runs unanswered, taking a 7-5 lead into the top of the seventh before Gonzales got an RBI single and Kemp reached on an infield error to tie the game.

It would be scoreless between these two teams from that point until the final frame, however. Through a myriad of pitching changes and pinch hitters for both squads, UW came out victorious in the 13th inning after ASU senior Sierra Rodriguez couldn't field a ball in right and UW senior outfielder Kelly Meggs scored from second.

Macha and Ryndak split time in the circle, with Macha pitching seven innings allowing 11 hits and seven runs. Ryndak pitched five innings allowing two hits and the game-winning run.

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×