Catching you up with The Walking Dead Season Five

The Walking Dead Season 5

Photo courtesy of AMC

The finale of The Walking's Dead fifth season is set to air Sunday, bringing a close to the most violent and surprising saga of the show yet.

It's tough to fully keep track of Rick and the gang's descent into zombie apocalypse madness, but this list will catch you up. Here are the most important moments of Season Five, The Walking Dead.

There are a ton of spoilers coming up. If you aren't caught up with the show, please stop reading. This is your one warning.

Terminus

Our survivors showed the world that not even a group of bloodthirsty cannibals can keep them down. What at first seemed like a safe zone from the zombie apocalypse turned out to be a trap, luring tired travelers of the world with fake signs promising "sanctuary" until it was too late.

While the human meat did in fact look appetizing, it wasn't exactly the friendliest of places to be. That's because of Gareth, the creepy Terminus leader who lived by the motto "You're either the butcher or the cattle."

Luckily, Carol has become quite the badass throughout the show, causing an explosion that set our group free from Terminus's clutches and saving them from becoming a midnight snack.  Well, everyone except for Bob. Poor Bob.  

Beth

We all wondered where Maggie's sister ended up after Daryl lost her to a mysterious car in their trek across the desolate woods of Atlanta. While she appeared to be safe in a secure hospital in the middle of the city, her new shelter of course had just a few problems.

The first being that Dawn Lerner, the "police officer" in charge of the hospital, was a psychotic control freak. It also didn't help that there were a bunch of men, including Officer Gorman, who were a bit too thirsty in this zombie apocalypse world.

Beth, of course, wasn't having the unwanted advances and smashed Gorman's head with a glass jar, leaving him to be eaten by a walker.  However, just as our survivors reached the hospital to rescue Beth, her head is blown off by Lerner, leaving everyone in tears.

The one silver lining that came from the hospital was the lovable and caring Noah, though he didn't last long because his face was ripped to shreds by zombies in front of a crying Glen in a later episode.

Alexandria

Finally, a real safe haven. This city held survivors that never had to experience the horrors of the zombie apocalypse due to walls and a prime location that sheltered them from the outside world. But can Rick and our group handle a place that doesn't require at least one zombie kill a day to survive?

The answer is no, and the crew begins to break down in the same way a hardened soldier does when returning to the real world from battle. Rick maintains his image as a cop and a leader, but Carol wants to blend in and not let the Alexandrians know that she could kill them with one punch if the circumstances called for it.

Rick also has the hots for a married woman, Jesse, and finds out her husband is beating her and their child. He goes crazy and assaults her husband, making himself look like a lunatic to the rest of the city.

Meanwhile, Daryl has been out in the woods trying to find other survivors with Aaron, the first openly gay character on The Walking Dead. They find a woman tied up to a tree with her guts hanging out, obviously left to be eaten alive by zombies. A "W" is carved into her head. Something evil is coming, but we still don't know what it is.

Yes, there are many more details that happened throughout the season. Father Gabriel showed that a man of God is not always a righteous man. Eugene lied about knowing of a cure in Washington. And Carol threatened to kill a 9-year-old child! Even if you haven't kept up with this season, this should still be enough to prepare you for what will surely be an epic and tear-jerking finale.

Reach the arts editor at jhgolds2@asu.edu or follow @mister_jgold on Twitter.

×