Tempe Police: Chicago man moves to Phoenix, fails to register as sex offender

Tempe Police Headquarters (Photo illustration by Emily Johnson/The State Press)

Tempe Police Headquarters (Photo illustration by Emily Johnson/The State Press) Tempe Police Headquarters (Photo illustration by Emily Johnson/The State Press)

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Sunday:

A 26-year-old Phoenix man was arrested at 47th Street and Pecan Road on March 11 on suspicion of having an outstanding warrant and failing to register as a sex offender, according to a police report.

The man was observed riding a bicycle against the flow of traffic on 48th Street, police reported.

Officers conducted a records check, and they found the man had an outstanding warrant from Illinois, according to the report.

The agency that issued the warrant was contacted, and it said it would extradite the man, who is a registered sex offender, police reported.

The man told officers he had found it hard to live in Chicago because everywhere was too close to a school or a park, police reported.

The man said he moved to Phoenix in 2014 and had failed to register as a sex offender at his current address because he knew he had a warrant out for his arrest and did not want to come to the attention of authorities, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

A 25-year-old Phoenix woman was arrested March 10 on the 3000 block of South Pine Street on suspicion of marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

An officer contacted the woman while investigating a suspicious vehicle and found her inside, police reported.

The woman showed signs of possible drug use, and she admitted to using methamphetamine the night before, according to the report.

Another officer and his K-9 arrived at the scene, and the K-9 alerted to the car for drug odors, police reported.

A search of the glove box revealed a usable amount of marijuana, a marijuana pipe, a meth pipe and heroin paraphernalia, police reported.

The woman told officers the items were hers and that she does in fact use all of those drugs, most recently heroin and meth, according to the report.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail, where she was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Reports compiled by Joey Hancock.

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or on follow @joey_hancock on Twitter.

×