Throwback movies to set the tone for your spring break

(Photo courtesy of DreamWorks SKG)
(Photo courtesy of DreamWorks SKG)

The semester’s been tough, but spring break is finally less than a week away, and it’s time to start preparing. Whether you’re packing for the week ahead or procrastinating from studying for that midterm, consider watching one of these movies to get in the spring break mood.

The definitive Spring Break movie, of course, is Mary Kate and Ashley’s "Holiday in the Sun." Two sisters travel to Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas for fun in the sun complete with some cute boys, a younger Megan Fox as the mean girl and a mystery the girls must solve themselves.

For any other specific vacation destinations, here’s a comprehensive guide to find the best movie to start feeling the hype.

(Photo courtesy of Universal Pictures) (Photo courtesy of Universal Pictures)

If you’re going to the beach...

"Jaws." A great choice for an adrenaline rush; you can become the resident expert on shark attacks among your friends! Remember, if one of your friends goes missing from your seaside destination, a shark probably ate them.

If your ultimate dream is to surf Hawaii’s North Shore...

"Blue Crush." Envy the carefree life of four surfer girls living life day-to-day, trying to catch the perfect wave.

If you’re hoping to find a foreign bestie at the beach...

"Lilo and Stitch." Lilo and Stitch go together like peanut butter and jelly, all because of the crazy coincidence that Stitch landed in Hawaii after fleeing his alien culture.

If you’re going on a luxury cruise...

"The Suite Life on Deck." Re-watch the seasons to be reminded that your childhood was boring as hell compared to Zack and Cody and cruise ships are cool.

If you’re hoping to find love on your cruise....

"Titanic." The classic love story sets realistic expectations for the drama and romance of vacation flings. If there’s anything Titanic has taught us, it’s that it's not true love unless somebody dies.

If you’re going to Havasu...

"Piranha 3D." In case you didn’t know, vicious prehistoric fishes live beneath the earth’s crust and an earthquake near a lake can release these monsters onto unsuspecting spring breakers. You’ve been warned.

(Photo courtesy of Vestron Pictures) (Photo courtesy of Vestron Pictures)

If you’re hanging with your family...

"Dirty Dancing." Nobody puts Baby in a corner. You too can find a handsome dance instructor to take your dance movies from spastic to sexy!

If you’re going to a theme park...

"National Lampoon’s Vacation." Chevy Chase stars as the patriarch of the Griswold family in their cross-country road trip to Wally World. Mishaps and hilarity ensue.

If you’re trying to get over an ex...

"Forgetting Sarah Marshall." Hopefully this doesn’t happen to you, but if you do happen to run into an ex with their new partner during your vacation to try to move on from the ex, hit the bar.

If you secretly wish you were a mermaid...

"Aquamarine." TBT to when Sara Paxton was killing the tween movie game with Jojo and pre-AHS Emma Roberts. It’s a lovely dream.

If your family just won a free vacation in a contest...

"The Even Stevens Movie." The OG Shia LaBeouf and the rest of the Stevens family are tricked into taking part in a reality TV show that puts Jersey Shore to shame. Who doesn’t love a DCOM?

(Photo courtesy of DreamWorks SKG) (Photo courtesy of DreamWorks SKG)

If you’re going on a Euro-trip to get ratchet...

"EuroTrip." Five friends go on the trip of a lifetime after high school graduation and discover ridiculous debauchery beyond what the states can offer.

If you’re going on a Euro-trip to find adventure and what dreams are made of...

"The Lizzie McGuire Movie." Really, Gordo is the one who finds out what dreams are made of when he finally makes it out of the friend zone. Lizzie gets to pretend to be an international pop star, which is cool, too.

If you just want spring break to last forever...

"Spring Breakers." We all knew James Franco was crazy, but he takes it to a new level in this movie with Vanessa Hudgens, Selena Gomez and Ashley Benson. It’s worth watching just for the poolside scene with Franco playing the piano and the girls dancing in sweatpants and unicorn beanies.

Reach the reporter at enichol3@asu.edu or follow @LizNichols4 on Twitter.

×