ASU men's basketball's Chance Murray announces he will transfer

Murray is the third Sun Devil to transfer this offseason

Chance Murray University of Arizona

Sophomore guard Chance Murray drives to the basket against U of A on Saturday, Feb. 7, 2015 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe.

ASU men's basketball sophomore guard Chance Murray announced he will be transferring Tuesday morning on Twitter.

Murray, who averaged 2.4 points, 1.0 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 29 games for the Sun Devils in 2014-15, announced the move in a series of tweets.

Murray is now the third Sun Devil to transfer from the program this offseason, joining freshman center Connor MacDougall and junior forward Sai Tummala.

Murray, a 6-foot-2 guard out of Los Angeles, played sparingly in two seasons in Tempe. He averaged 8.6 minutes per game in 2014-15.

Per NCAA transfer rules, Murray would have to sit out a year at whatever Division I college he elects to attend.

The announcement comes just days after ASU secured its first two recruits under new coach Bobby Hurley.

JUCO forward Obinna Oleka and former Buffalo guard Shannon Evans both transferred to ASU on Friday, signing their letters of intent to play for the Sun Devils.

ASU is looking to rebound in 2015-16 after being eliminated in the second round of the NIT by Richmond last season, which led to the firing of longtime head coach Herb Sendek.

Reach the assistant sports editor at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×