Barrett Artists and Musicians encourages students to show their creatives sides

Barrett Artist's Musicians

(Photo courtesy of Carolina Hernandez)

The Barrett Artists and Musicians club on the West campus is the ideal place for ASU students to combine their creative ideas and passions.

Sociology and psychology junior Carolina Hernandez, BAM's chair, joined it during her freshman year at ASU. She said she has been playing the violin for a long time, which sparked her interest in music.

“I’ve always liked doing art-related things and expressing feeling through powerful and creative means,” Hernandez said.

When Hernandez joined, the Barrett Artists and Musicians club was just starting out. It began when several Barrett students who played instruments started getting together to make music. The students then started playing at Barrett events.

“BAM is just a gathering of friends that evolved into an organization,” Hernandez said. “We’re a really easy-going group. We get to share our different talents and passions and teach each other different skills. It’s a lot of fun.”

During meetings, students come up with ideas for events, discuss art, film and music related topics and pick a fun activity to do that day. Hernandez said those activities can range from painting a picture to playing instruments and singing together.

The club also plans an event about every two weeks for other students to attend. In the past, Barrett Artists and Musicians has hosted movie nights, art showcases and cartooning and anime workshops. Hernandez said her favorite event of the year is the Barrett Showcase, where Barrett Artists and Musicians members have the opportunity to display their artwork and put on performances. The event is free to students and any club member is allowed showcase their work.

Despite the club’s name, Hernandez said any student is welcome to be a part of Barrett Artists and Musicians, and they do not necessarily have to be in the honors college.

“It’s one of the few spaces where people can come together and share their different expressions and passions in an open setting,” Hernandez said. “Everyone just brings in their different creative sides and it’s a way to destress from academic activities.”

The club’s next event, a cartooning workshop, will be held at 1 p.m. on April 22. Barrett Artists and Musicians is also hosting a finger painting workshop to help students destress for finals week at 3 p.m. on May 4.

Barrett Artists and Musicians has about 10 consistent members and is open for students from any major or campus to join. Meeting dates and times for the club may vary.

For more information about Barrett Artists and Musicians and its events, email Carolina Hernandez at Carolina.R.Hernandez@asu.edu.

Reach the reporter at bridget.dowd@asu.edu or follow @bridgetbernice on Twitter.

×