Crow does not change in-state tuition as promised, non-residents face increases

ASU President Michael Crow meets with The State Press editorial board on Friday, April 3, 2015 at the Fulton Center in Tempe. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

ASU administration released their 2015-2016 Tuition Proposal Friday, which does not call for an increase for in-state tuition but does implement a one-year $320 fee for Arizona students.

For ASU, tuition will not raise tuition for any in-state students just as Crow assured ABOR after Ducey announced his cuts in January. Current tuition rates for in-state students will remain the same.

However, the majority of tuition changes will rest on the shoulders of out-of-state students and international students to help make up for the $99 million of cuts to public universities after Gov. Doug Ducey and the state Legislature made in

All non-resident students’ tuition will increase by four percent. This comes with the exception of non-resident undergraduate students at the Lake Havasu campus, which will face no tuition increase.

International undergraduate students will also see a 11.6 percent raise in tuition. For international graduate students tuition will increase by 10.9 percent.

The University will also be tacking on a few fees. Barrett, the Honors College as well as the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication will be requesting a $250 per semester increase in their fees for their undergraduate programs.

They will also be adding a variety of other fees for different programs at ASU, both graduate and undergraduate.

The University of Arizona and Northern Arizona University also released their tuition proposals.

UA proposed a 4.07 percent increase for Arizona residents and 10.91 percent for non-residents in their undergraduate programs along with other provisions. NAU, the university that experienced the least amount of funding cuts, will not be increasing tuition for their undergraduate students.

Reach the reporter at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×