Report: Former UCLA wide receiver Devin Lucien to transfer to ASU

Lucien eligible to play immediately

SPORTS FBC-NEVADA-UCLA 6 LA
Nevada defensive back Charles Garrett breaks up a pass intended for UCLA receiver Devin Lucien in the first quarter on Saturday, August 31, 2013, at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. (Luis Sinco/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

Former UCLA wide receiver Devin Lucien, who was granted a release from his scholarship last month, will transfer to ASU, according to ESPN.com's Joe Schad.

Lucien will have one year of eligibility and is able to play immediately for the Sun Devils as a graduate transfer.

Lucien was the Bruins' third-leading receiver in 2014 in terms of catches (29) and sixth-leading receiver in terms of yardage (225), finishing with two touchdown catches.

ASU is looking to fill a void at the wide receiver position after coach Todd Graham announced that junior wide receiver Cameron Smith would be out for the season after an offseason knee surgery. ASU has also received a commitment from JUCO wide receiver Tim White, who is eligible to play immediately.

Schad said that Lucien is close with ASU redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici, who is expected to be the starting quarterback in 2015.

Both Lucien and Bercovici are California natives.

Lucien has 58 catches, 752 receiving yards and four receiving touchdowns in his career as a Bruin.

BruinSportsReport.com first reported that Lucien was released from his scholarship on March 31. They said that Lucien was primarily looking to transfer within the Pac-12, with ASU being the clear frontrunner.

Reach the assistant sports editor at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×