Tempe Police: Man smokes marijuana on 'A' Mountain

A 19-year-old San Diego man was arrested on April 17 on suspicion of having marijuana and drug paraphernalia on top of "A" Mountain.

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

A 19-year-old San Diego man was arrested April 17 on the 200 Block of East 5th Street on the suspicion of marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession and the delay and obstruction of information, according to a police report.

Officers observed three men on top of the Hayden Butte Preserve via surveillance, police reported. They approached the man and his friends, whom all ran away from police, leaving all their belongings, according to the report.

Police smelled a strong odor of marijuana at the scene, and found marijuana in bags and containers sitting on the bench where the man and his friends were sitting, according to the report.

A backpack was also found at the scene which contained two homemade pipes and a blow torch, police reported. The backpack had also had a piece of paper with the man's name on it, police reported.

The second backpack at the scene contained more marijuana, as well as a glass bong, according to the report.

The man and his friends did not get far, and the man was caught and detained, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

A 21-year-old Mesa woman was arrested at the 2000 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of shoplifting and narcotic drug possession, according to the report.

Officers were called to the scene after employees observed the woman selecting items from the cosmetic case and putting them in her bag, according to the report. When officers detained the woman, the admitted to the theft of the goods under Miranda, police reported.

Officers found Morphine extended relief 30 mg during a search, according to the report. The woman said the drugs belonged to her uncle, but she was unable to name the uncle, police reported. She refused to tell the officers how and when she obtained the drugs, according to the report.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail where she was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

Reach the reporter at sgreene6@asu.edu or follow @thesydneygreene on Twitter.

×