Starbucks, ASU expand partnership

The company will now offer four years of tuition reimbursement for eligible employees

Starbucks tuition

Photo courtesy of Starbucks

The partnership between ASU and Starbucks, which allowed nearly 2,000 Starbucks employees to receive two years of college tuition this year, has expanded to cover four years of school costs, Starbucks officials announced Monday afternoon.

The program, which was previously open to only juniors and seniors, is now open for all eligible part- and full-time Starbucks employees. In a press release, company officials said it plans to invest $250 million or more into the program to pay for tuition for at least 25,000 employees.

The employees can be from across the country and will receive their degrees from ASU Online.

Employees do not have to remain employed by Starbucks after graduation. They will receive the tuition reimbursement at the end of each semester, another change in the program.

"Everyone deserves a chance at the American dream," said Howard Schultz, chairman and CEO of Starbucks in a statement. "The unfortunate reality is that too many Americans can no longer afford a college degree, particularly disadvantaged young people, and others are saddled with burdensome education debt. By giving our partners access to four years of full tuition coverage, we will provide them a critical tool for lifelong opportunity. We're stronger as a nation when everyone is afforded a pathway to success."

ASU president Michael Crow applauded Starbucks’s efforts to make a college education affordable for people in the work force.

“The College Achievement Plan has been a powerful demonstration of what is possible when an enlightened and innovative corporation joins forces with a forward-thinking research university,” Crow said in a statement. “This program is a clear expression of Starbucks's commitment to its partners and ASU’s continuing mission to provide access to higher education to all qualified students.”

In a statement from Starbucks, U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said he hoped other companies would use Starbucks as an example in the future, and provide options for their workers to obtain a degree.

“Howard Schultz and Arizona State University President Michael Crow continue to do incredible work together,” Duncan said in a statement. “Today’s announcement from Starbucks and ASU is another win for students. Partnerships like this one show how innovative strategies can expand access to college for thousands of students.”

Reach the reporter at Corina.Vanek@asu.edu or follow @CorinaVanek on Twitter.

×