Sun Devils celebrate each other at ASU's own Academy Awards-esque show, The Pitchfork Awards

Sun Devil individuals and groups were celebrated at ASU's own Pitchfork award show

Pitchfork awards 2

The 2015 Pitchfork Awards at the Orpheum Theater on Friday, April 9, 2015 showed off high-spirited Sun Devils.

There is no doubt that ASU is full of talented students. However, just in case anyone did not believe it, the Pitchfork Awards held at the beautiful Orpheum Theater in Downtown Phoenix on April 9, validated and celebrated Sun Devil school spirit.

The award show celebrated its fourth annual celebration this year. Student Creative Services strives to acknowledge and celebrate the ASU community with this event.

Senior psychology major Iqra Ahmed is happy yet sad that this was her last award show to be apart of.

"It just gets bigger and better every year," said Ahmed. "I started in 2012 for the 2013 event. It's been an amazing event. Every single moment, like the level, the volunteer, the staff that plan it and the high energy. There was a lot more live entertainment this year. We wanted to make it memorable"

The fancy element of the night brought an Oscar show feel.

"We like to call it the Oscars for ASU," said Ahmed. "I hope everyone got the enjoyment of that!"

Generally the attire for the event would be formal as there were many Sun Devils groomed and looking pretty but several wore denim, for a good cause. On April 9th, ASU holds a denim day to protest against sexual violence. The history of denim day reaches back to the nineties when an 18-year-old girl in Italy was isolated, raped and threatened by her driving instructor. The support ASU students provided for this day was inspiring. 

Excited faces slowly filed into the theater and filled up the rows of seats. The Orpheum theater was ignited with a blue and purple sky until the event kicked off.

Twenty categories ranged from "Outstanding Student Leader" to "Sport Club of the Year", and the room was full of diverse yet driven students anxious to see if they won. Although each Sun Devil group and individual deserved credit, the best of the best were featured on stage. It was pleasing to see the array of categories reaching out to groups of any kind.

With awards for sports, Shelby Houlihan and Bryan McBride apart of track and field won the Outstanding Student Athlete. However, they are both preparing for important events and could not make it, so associate athletic director Bill Kennedy accepted it on their behalf. The 942 crew won the Sun Devil Spirit Award for their group, they made it a not that anyone who comes out and cheers for the Sun Devil games is a member of the group as well. 

Engineers without borders accepted two awards, outstanding sustainable project/program and undergraduate student organization.

Inspiring models like Robert Yao thanked their team as well as their parents. It was noted all throughout the night that the individuals and small groups who accepted their awards would be no where without their groups. 

Not only were awards given out but performances ranging from singing to dancing filled the stage and room full of good vibes. Every group who performed for the live entertainment section provoked applause from the audience. Even though each deserved an award for being absolutely talented, the group ASU Andaaz. They are ASU's one and only Bollywood fusion dance team as well as in local terms. 

"Go Devils!" was repeated several times throughout the night and it is fair to say that it's always a great time to be a Sun Devil.

Not all winners are noted in this article or those nominated. However, it should be noted that anyone who came out for the award show deserves a big round of applause.

If you didn't make it this year then attend during spring semester 2016, you can like Pitchfork Awards on Facebook or Twitter to ensure you do not miss out again. 

Reach the reporter at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter.

×