Zach Cerbo's RBI double in the 10th inning helps ASU edge past Washington 6-5, take series

ASU came as close as possible to losing its first Pac-12 series of the season, but a tenth-inning RBI double kept it unbeaten in conference series play.

ASU BASEBALL VS STANFORD
Sophomore Zach Cerbo hits an RBI single to score Senior Trever Allen in the bottom of the third inning against Stanford at Phoenix Municipal park on Sunday March 29, 2015. The Sun Devils defeated the Cardinals 14-6. (Jacob Stanek/The State Press)

Six Pac-12 series, six series wins for No. 4 ASU baseball. 

Sunday's rubber match wasn't easy, but as it has many times this season, ASU found a way. This time, it was Zach Cerbo RBI double in the 10th inning to push the Sun Devils past Washington (21-16, 7-11 Pac-12) 6-5. 

Junior closer Ryan Burr (7-1) has been looking to get back on track for the Sun Devils, but couldn't find his groove as Husky junior Austin Rei homered off of him to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth. Regardless, Burr stranded the winning run in the same inning and stranded the tying run on third in the 10th frame.

In the 10th inning, pinch-hitter Zach Cerbo's RBI double scored pinch-runner David Graybill for the go-ahead run. 

ASU (25-11, 13-5 Pac-12) chased Husky right-hander Ryan Schmitten early, tagging him for two runs on six hits in just an inning. 

In the first inning, David Greer, who has been blistering in conference play, hit an RBI single to score the first run. 

Freshman second baseman Andrew Snow's RBI double in the next inning made it 2-0 ASU, ending Schmitten's day on the mound. 

The Huskies used a three-run second inning to take the lead, though. The inning scarred an otherwise decent performance from starter Brett Lilek, who gave up six hits and the aforementioned three runs in 4.1 innings of work. 

Washington junior reliever Spencer Jones pitched four solid innings of relief, only giving up one hit. However, that one hit was a Brian Serven solo home run to left to tie the game in the fifth inning.

In a 3-3 tie, Chris Beall drove in ASU's next two runs with a groundout and a double down the right-field line. 

But Washington answered with two solo home runs to tie the game at five, leaving the Sun Devils with the possibility of losing their first Pac-12 series of 2015. 

Sophomore Eder Erives pitched three solid innings of two-hit relief for ASU, with the only scratch against him being a solo home run. 

With Sunday's win, ASU improved to 5-0 in extra-innings games, with three of those coming on the road and four coming in Pac-12 play. 

ASU will play Arizona in Tucson on Wednesday at 7 p.m. Although the game does not count for conference play, a win would capture a Territorial Cup point for the Sun Devils. 

Reach the reporter at Justin.Toscano@asu.edu or follow @justintoscano3 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×